Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Not sure it would be a bent axle as I would think that you would feel a hell of a vibration if that was the case. Could be a bad axle bearing on that side, but I would think that, that would cause the inside edge to wear, but then again it could be the rearend is shifted forward on that side, but I would think that the other side would be wearing on the inside if that was the case. Not sure bud, good luck

·
Premium Member
6,275 Posts
My right rear tire is wearing on the outside. Bent axle?
Axle HOUSING yes, possible.

To be outside wear it would have to be toe in or pos camber.
Easy to check with normal W/A equipment.

Positive camber would normally have to be from an impact as the natural tendency is sag to negative.

Usually a housing bent enough to be using up tires would be leaking at the tubes and eating bearings.

It also could be a cord failure in the tire.
IMO, best coarse of action is to start with a 4 wheel alignment check ,then make a plan based on the numbers.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Too many counter-clockwise donuts? ;^)

Too much drifting up and down parking garage ramps? ;^)

+1 on checking for rear axle shift (+1 on probably would make 'other noticible issues' appear)
(measure center to center of the wheels on both sides of the car to check)

+1 on checking alignment (even visually - have a friend follow behind you on the road and see if the car is noticibly 'side-winding' - tracking unevenly). Probably best to have it professionally checked.

Did you hit a curb/pothole/else HARD?

HTH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not hit anything since I have owned the car. No abnormal wear on the other tire. This is the 2nd tire that it has done this too so I can eliminate the tire as being the issue.

Within the last month the rear-end started whining. Kind of odd, the whining got pretty loud and the went away for a week or so. Whining and a little vibration came back though. Enough for me to park it and start taking it apart. Fairly certain the right side bearings are shot.

I can't help but think that it is something more than the bearing because this is the 2nd tire, which means the car has been driven about 25k-30k miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another fun fact. Upon inspection of the tire the wear is not even all the way around the outside of the tire? About half of the outer tire has worn all the tread and half has minimal wear! Sounds odd, but true.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
My first guess is the tire. Did you look at it while it is rolling? Does the tire wobble? If it is "true", I would try another tire. Broken belts and seperations/blisters are not unusual. Tire quality is really lousy, even in brand name stuff. The noisy rear is its own problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.