Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,759 Posts
thats going to be a tough one. Hard to see on my phone , but did they not connect the inner wheel tub with the outer 1/4 after trimming them up? wtf lol

What I would do, and certainly not the "right" way of doing it but it's going to be far easier and cheaper than the "right" way (replacing both 1/4's), is to take your wheel well trim, locate them where you want them to be/where you think they should go and then just cut out some sheet metal pieces rebuild the entire pinch molding area. Going to take a lot of time eyeballing, measuring, cutting, tacking and mocking it up but it should work. As far as getting it perfect, it's really going to be on you to figure out where the trim is supposed to be sitting in regards to the rest of the body. would definitely help to have another B body around to measure and use for reference while doing it.

You could also cut the pinch area off of two other donor 1/4's so you don't have to make it yourself, that might save a lot of time fabricating up the pieces but you'll still have to locate everything correctly. Should still be much easier, but you'll have to find two complete 1/4s then (and may question why not just replace the whole 1/4 and make patch pieces just to tie it back in to the tub area the)

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,759 Posts
I mean the suspension parts and body parts are probably worth what you paid alone but I'd be really worried bout how that panoramic roof was installed if this is what they did to clear big wheels LOL

Reactions: GeeTwo

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,759 Posts
Thing about full quarters is, although a lot of work , there is SOOOOOO much less visible joint work. Almost no actual bodywork.
You start fixing the wheelwell back to stock , unless you are skilled at tig welding a butt joint and hammer work, this car is going to end up being a trowel job.
Same with the roof

Ran into that issue with my car doing a patch panel on the lower 1/4. Long, flat, thin sheet metal so it's difficult to weld it without warping it somewhere. I MIG'd it but i'm pretty proficient there and can make weld lines I could grind flush without needing more than a thin coat of glaze to cover but the 1/4 is going to need filler for sure because of the warping above the weld line. Of course, I was replacing mine because of body damage so some of the warping was already there despite my best attempt to hammer and dolly it before welding the patch in. I'm good at welding but terrible at body work , probably would have came out pretty good if the 1/4 wasn't damaged to begin with.

It might be a bit easier for him though welding around the wheel arch. I feel like that metal may not warp as badly as the large flat area I was welding below the 1/4 seem.

In any event, i'm strongly considering ripping the whole 1/4 off and welding on a NOS 1/4 I have in my shed rather than using all that filler to make it look nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts