Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are the rear wheels not set in the center of the rear wheel wells? The tires seem to sit closer to the back door than the trunk. Has this caused any problems for anyone? I was looking at 22's and they wouldn't quite clear the front part of that rear wheel well without a little bit of cutting or going with a lower sidewall on the tire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Capital J:
Is it just me or are the rear wheels not set in the center of the rear wheel wells?.......
True that. Actually it's the rear wheel wells that are off.

This was caused when GM changed the rear fender wells on these cars. The rear quarter panels were poorly designed and the cut for the wheel wells resulted in the 'look' that the rear wheels were 'off'.

Will not cause ANY problems if your wheel and tire package is close to stock diameter Caprice wheels/tires. I will look kinda crappy, though.

You can get extended rear control arms to center the wheels in the wheel wells. Go to the Suspension page and do a search for 'extended rear control arms' if you want more information on this mod. You'll also want to get an extended drive shaft if you do this mod.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Capital J:
I was looking at 22's and they wouldn't quite clear the front part of that rear wheel well without a little bit of cutting or going with a lower sidewall on the tire.
Says who?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.