Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when I pull in and out of driveways and parking structures I get a creaking sound from the rearend. What could cause this? I had the car up on the lift the other day and noticed that there was duct tape on the bottom of the right coil. To my knowledge the previous owner of the car replaced the gears in the rearend because of a humming noise. Is there a chance they did not do some thing right when they put it back together?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it's coming from inside the rearend, it could be that it needs some GM limited slip additive. If so, get some from the stealership.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a bunch of creaking when I would go up/down a driveway or when I would launch the car. It drove me nuts!
I replaced my rear lca's and the new bushings in them made a nice difference. Creaking completely disappeared.

I also had a rubbing sounds when I would slowly and slightly turn in reverse. The GM limited slip additive cured that.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a bunch of creaking when I would go up/down a driveway or when I would launch the car. It drove me nuts!
I replaced my rear lca's and the new bushings in them made a nice difference. Creaking completely disappeared.

I also had a rubbing sounds when I would slowly and slightly turn in reverse. The GM limited slip additive cured that.
Sounds like my problem exactly!!! Sweet, its sounds like I will NEED to get some new extended LCA's, and some limited slip additive. Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some spring insulators might also help to quiet any squeeking/creaking.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When mine creaked,it was the rear axle upper control arm bolts loose.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Robss96dcm:
When mine creaked,it was the rear axle upper control arm bolts loose.
Had the same problem and this fixed it last weekend. Try this first. its cheap :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine creak all the time too when approaching steep driveways at funny angles. My SS is lowered about 2" all around and I need to avoid scraping tranny pan and cats so I always take steep sections sideways. It's the upper control arms contorting under the weight of the car on an angle. I wouldn't worry about it. Better that those control arm nuts are a little loose than too tight and really binding and restricting movement. Slap some grease in the contact points and the zirk fittings and that should help a lot with the noise. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts