Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a 94 Roadmaster rearview mirror ever try to remove the mirror? :confused: Seems like there are a lot of different mirrors being used on B-bodys so search on interiors didn't answer this specific to my car.
My mirror base mount has no screws to secure it.
FSM says to just slide it up. Tried this but it is not budging. I'm concerned I might crack the windshield glass if I slide too hard as it seems to be on pretty tight. FSM says to reinstall, just slide it onto the mirror mount glued to the windshield until it clicks so I was wondering if there is a trick to releasing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know why you'd have the cam-lock style on your car but you should push in on the base of the mirror and up simultaneously.

Correction:
"3.0 REMOVE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT (OEM) REARVIEW MIRROR
CAUTION: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE WHEN REMOVING MIRROR FROM WINDSHIELD. THE WINDSHIELD BUTTON MAY SEPARATE FROM THE WINDSHIELD OR THE WINDSHIELD MAY BREAK.

3.1 Screw mount mirror removal procedure. Note that there are several
versions of mirror mount systems. If unfamiliar with mirror removal, seek
professional assistance.

" Using a Philips screwdriver or a #20 torx bit, loosen the screw in the base of the mirror.
" After loosening screw, gently lift upward to slide mirror off of mirror mount.

3.2 Wedge mount mirror removal procedure: (Common Method for screwless
mount).

" Using a small 1/8" (4 mm) flat-blade screwdriver, insert the flat end into the opening at the bottom of the mirror mount at the windshield.
" Slide the screwdriver into the center of the mirror mount until resistance is felt.
" Gently apply a small amount of additional upward force to lift away locking spring in the mount.
" While still applying upward pressure with the screwdriver, grasp the mirror bracket and wiggle side to side. Lift mirror up toward the headliner and off the windshield mount button.

3.3 Camlock Mirror Removal procedure: (Common Method)

" Grasp the base of the mirror.
" Rotate 90 degrees left or right.
" Slide mirror downward toward dash to remove."

http://www.aaaremotes.com/homelinkmirrorinst.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Careful with the wedge mount ones. I cracked my windshield trying to remove it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the wedge mount type from what I can tell. Will heed all caution trying to dismount it.
Many thanks to all for the tips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are a PITA to remove!

What I've found to work (for me any way)is to put a small open end wrench (5/16 or 3/8) between the glass and the bottom of the mirror mount, then use about a 1/4" wide screwdriver to pry between the wrench and the spring clip on the mirror mount.You don't have to move the spring very much to release the mirror and the wrench spreads the force out a little on the glass.

I have removed five so far with out damage. Knock on wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.