Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine has the Torqhead installed (crank hub), the transmission is done and it was finally time to put the engine back in this weekend. I failed. My lifting chain was done all wrong and I ended up 2 inches short of getting on the motor mounts. The chain was hitting the firewall cowl, and would not push in any further.
I re-rigged the chain and will try again this coming weekend.
Ugh 馃槗
637FA32D-AE2D-4A49-8E92-FB4D4548DA80.jpeg
D38A7439-C67D-44D9-9ACB-AE68BDA4600A.jpeg

Registered
Had hard enough of a time trying to drop the engine let alone engine + trans. I don鈥檛 miss doing that work at all.

Registered
I pulled the whole front radiator core support when I did mine. Still had to adjust the chain part way through...

-Brian

Reactions: nsaness

Super Moderator
I had similar difficulty. I found it a lot easier to install it without the intake manifold on. It also allows you to prime the oil system with the oil cooler lines all hooked up, so no dry starts once it's in the car.

Premium Member
When I put my engine and tranny back in last summer, I bolted one of the chains from the load balancer to the back of the cylinder heads, and very similar to your issue it was up against the cowl and would not budge. Someone here suggested that I bolt to the 3rd bolts in on the intake mainifold (NOT the bolts on fuel rail) from the rear, that gave me the clearance I needed. Only issue would be with the tranny bolted is was heavy on the backside so I recruited my poor wife to push the engine lift forward while I lifted the tailshaft housing over the front end. Took all of 20 or so minutes to get her in I didn't have the headers or starter on because I had clearance issues. Good Luck!

Reactions: nsaness

Registered
install the engine and transmission separately. I've never understood why so many people think this is somehow better/faster/easier/whatever.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
install the engine and transmission separately. I've never understood why so many people think this is somehow better/faster/easier/whatever.
1) I don't have the means to safely lift the car high enough to get under it with the transmission
2) One of my terrible car memories is of installing a transmission from under the car. I NEVER want to do that again.
To start, I did have to take the engine and transmission completely out, as they were both rebuilt.
Truthfully, it was pretty easy getting the engine and transmission in an out with me doing all the work and my wife supervising. Once I discovered what had to happen with the chain rigging, I think it will go in fine this weekend. I'll repost with success or failure, but doing the engine and trans together seems like the best overall way to do this. I'll admit if I am wrong after this weekend.

Registered
I don't have one, but you (and your wife) seem like perfect candidates for this for your combined style installation:

It's easier if it's just my wife and I, to do the motor alone and take the extra time and effort to install the tranny separate. When it's 2 guys then I do both together and just make the chain real short and hook as far aft as possible. The key is safety, and to stay out of divorse court.

Safe sailing either way.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have one, but you (and your wife) seem like perfect candidates for this for your combined style installation:

View attachment 194742

It's easier if it's just my wife and I, to do the motor alone and take the extra time and effort to install the tranny separate. When it's 2 guys then I do both together and just make the chain real short and hook as far aft as possible. The key is safety, and to stay out of divorse court.

Safe sailing either way.
That is good advice too. The load leveler did make the job MUCH easier!. I think I just rigged the chains wrong. We'll know on Saturday!
load leveler.JPG

Premium Member
grease them threads on the load leveler if you haven't already,makes it easier to crank

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so engine and transmission (bolted together) goes in pretty easy when you have a load leveler and rig the chain to allow a lot of room (keep chain low to intake) at the back of the engine. Tilt, lower, push in; over and over and over.
D368D808-EFAA-4673-8ACC-00B8CC9B88A0.jpeg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Putting accessories back on. Expect new supercharger kit to ship this week 馃
A2B9AA19-9837-4470-A2F5-03E4DFE756FD.jpeg
04F9ECBD-0032-44AF-9651-D602C8322FCD.jpeg
DB1BBE30-0441-403D-A047-97AC259EB5AC.jpeg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
To show how dumb I am, I am posting a 鈥渂efore鈥 picture. I took apart a perfectly good and working car 鈥渢o make it better鈥. Here is how she started and it has taken years to get it back together...
35181570-847D-48E1-8D49-BDEE8BA87FFB.jpeg

Premium Member
Looking good - What supercharger kit is on the way?

Don't feel bad about taking apart a perfectly good car to make it better. I did the same thing 7 years ago...hence my username :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
I am waiting on the Rocky Mountain Competitive Research kit to arrive. The bracket on my old kit was broke, so it was a great reason to upgrade.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
So, the old supercharger kit could not be repaired or replaced and I bought the modern and improved Rocky Mountain Competitive Research kit. Unlike my old kit, the RMCR kit is specifically made for the Impala.
Can鈥檛 wait to figure out the wiring differences that I am facing. You see my old kit had 3 additional fuel injectors on the throttle body, and I have decided to go with a speed density tune rather than using the MAF. I have a lot of electrical, vacuum and fuel lines that were modified for the old kit, so some goes back to 鈥渟tock鈥 configuration, and much gets changed for the new kit.
Here are some shots of what Santa brought me in August:

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
In the beginning of this undertaking, I had done upper and lower control arms at
80D16C6A-B078-4F96-9AC0-1B97DDB564D8.jpeg
A3A09D31-EAA4-4125-9B84-C4C4A8CF9C3F.jpeg
E9A56369-50B9-4DFF-B018-00798A31B05B.jpeg
80F55531-77FD-4B1A-AAA1-024857717134.jpeg
the front, new shocks and springs, and all the tie rods/steering joints. I upgraded the spindles with the larger ball joints and rebuilt the stock brakes.
Eventually I will do a big brake upgrade, but I plan to upgrade wheels at the same time, so this big expense caused me to put if off until I get the car running again...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
I got the Impala accessories back on the car. Haven鈥檛 seen the alternator on that side since 1995. Also cut off all my stock fuel injector connectors to put on new USCAR connectors to fit the Injector Dynamics 1050 units.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts