Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine has the Torqhead installed (crank hub), the transmission is done and it was finally time to put the engine back in this weekend. I failed. My lifting chain was done all wrong and I ended up 2 inches short of getting on the motor mounts. The chain was hitting the firewall cowl, and would not push in any further.
I re-rigged the chain and will try again this coming weekend.
Ugh 馃槗
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Engine Vehicle

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
install the engine and transmission separately. I've never understood why so many people think this is somehow better/faster/easier/whatever.
1) I don't have the means to safely lift the car high enough to get under it with the transmission
2) One of my terrible car memories is of installing a transmission from under the car. I NEVER want to do that again.
To start, I did have to take the engine and transmission completely out, as they were both rebuilt.
Truthfully, it was pretty easy getting the engine and transmission in an out with me doing all the work and my wife supervising. Once I discovered what had to happen with the chain rigging, I think it will go in fine this weekend. I'll repost with success or failure, but doing the engine and trans together seems like the best overall way to do this. I'll admit if I am wrong after this weekend.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have one, but you (and your wife) seem like perfect candidates for this for your combined style installation:

View attachment 194742

It's easier if it's just my wife and I, to do the motor alone and take the extra time and effort to install the tranny separate. When it's 2 guys then I do both together and just make the chain real short and hook as far aft as possible. The key is safety, and to stay out of divorse court.

Safe sailing either way.
That is good advice too. The load leveler did make the job MUCH easier!. I think I just rigged the chains wrong. We'll know on Saturday!
Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Mechanic

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so engine and transmission (bolted together) goes in pretty easy when you have a load leveler and rig the chain to allow a lot of room (keep chain low to intake) at the back of the engine. Tilt, lower, push in; over and over and over.
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, the old supercharger kit could not be repaired or replaced and I bought the modern and improved Rocky Mountain Competitive Research kit. Unlike my old kit, the RMCR kit is specifically made for the Impala.
Can鈥檛 wait to figure out the wiring differences that I am facing. You see my old kit had 3 additional fuel injectors on the throttle body, and I have decided to go with a speed density tune rather than using the MAF. I have a lot of electrical, vacuum and fuel lines that were modified for the old kit, so some goes back to 鈥渟tock鈥 configuration, and much gets changed for the new kit.
Here are some shots of what Santa brought me in August:

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the beginning of this undertaking, I had done upper and lower control arms at
Motor vehicle Auto part Brake Automotive lighting Tire
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Engine Car
Auto part Automotive tire Tire Disc brake Vehicle brake
Yellow Auto part
the front, new shocks and springs, and all the tie rods/steering joints. I upgraded the spindles with the larger ball joints and rebuilt the stock brakes.
Eventually I will do a big brake upgrade, but I plan to upgrade wheels at the same time, so this big expense caused me to put if off until I get the car running again...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the Impala accessories back on the car. Haven鈥檛 seen the alternator on that side since 1995. Also cut off all my stock fuel injector connectors to put on new USCAR connectors to fit the Injector Dynamics 1050 units.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I found that I could hold the Torqhead 0411 PCM with this minimalist bracket from a C5. Plenty of room to fit the air intake elbow now. I am thinking of using a bigger diameter if that seems to be a restriction (it looks like a restriction to me)

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you, that means a lot coming from you. I have been following your car as well. I wish I has some of your skill! I really like all that you have done with your car and happily admit it is cooler than my easier
鈥渞ebuild鈥.
I had a shop go to restore my car and after they went out of business, I brought my car home in pieces. It has been a long road figuring out where each nut and bolt goes (when I did not disassemble it), but I have recently thrown a lot of money at this to try and get this done.
I hope to have a reliable driving Impala by spring of 2021...

PS. I鈥檒l throw in a shot of what I started with
Hearth
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Floor
Floor Table Room Furniture Flooring
Auto part

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I mocked up the supercharger side this weekend. Some fitting and 1 occasion where the hack saw came out. The blower side is really tight and the 12 rib belt doesn鈥檛 make it any easier.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good eye!
Yes, those bolts came with the blower kit. At a torque spec of 30 ft. lbs., I was not expecting Grade 8. Are you thinking they should be Grade 8?
(They are only finger tight for the mock up, so it is not too late).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great advice. As an m.e. with a metallurgy background, I too am uneasy with how much the SB LT1 snout gets loaded on a double wide pulley set up. I will certainly take your advice and upgrade those bolts on final assembly. Thank you for offering the help. I will also keep an eye on the crank bolt.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I skipped work today and got the oil cooler, radiator , and fans in (driver side fan relocated slightly). Had to throw on the blower temporarily to trim the top (plastic) radiator shroud for the blower inlet elbow. I鈥檓 happy with the belt wrap on the the RMCR bracketry.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Machine Machine tool
Auto part Engine Vehicle Machine Car

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I don鈥檛 know if it will be enough, but after this evening, there are many linear inches of radiator fin on the car.
Oh, that bumper is disgusting. After the car is up and running, we will paint it (I am not done dropping my ratchet on it yet).

Auto part Vehicle

1 - 20 of 57 Posts