Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
the more I see this, the more I love the build. I have always had a thing for seeing cars that were modded back back in their hay day restored, but restored while maintaining the mods they had which were 'time period correct'. Those RMCR supercharger kits are a small piece of history back when LT1's ruled the road, there was something really unique about seeing one back then and even more so now. Seems like you're really on the right track to not only make it cool, but fast as hell too.

I'm almost done with an LSA swap on my car, and while I'm looking forward to the functionality of the LS engine it's nowhere near as cool to me as popping the hood and seeing the correct engine for these cars with the supercharger kit that we all drooled over before LS swaps became the norm.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you, that means a lot coming from you. I have been following your car as well. I wish I has some of your skill! I really like all that you have done with your car and happily admit it is cooler than my easier
“rebuild”.
I had a shop go to restore my car and after they went out of business, I brought my car home in pieces. It has been a long road figuring out where each nut and bolt goes (when I did not disassemble it), but I have recently thrown a lot of money at this to try and get this done.
I hope to have a reliable driving Impala by spring of 2021...

PS. I’ll throw in a shot of what I started with
A5A4DA9D-5DCC-47E7-B6D2-940EE8DBE026.jpeg
05CFCCBE-4DA1-468A-AF02-A30D3EB1E5DE.jpeg
90A58DA1-2F85-4780-97FE-784DE6F1D3AE.jpeg
1EFFCA88-861A-4AA1-9451-7ACCFD918AAF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the aftercooler plumbing done. Found my oil cooler lines were hand bent from accessory drive being on that side. Have to re-bend to get new blower bracket on.
E947FE31-DE9A-4BBF-A4DD-B402ED597DAB.jpeg
8BA73A29-AFC6-4AB3-B9DC-B9FB2CED82B1.jpeg
B5E3DD83-19FB-4D03-883D-B8242E394359.jpeg

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I mocked up the supercharger side this weekend. Some fitting and 1 occasion where the hack saw came out. The blower side is really tight and the 12 rib belt doesn’t make it any easier.
49981A2A-1772-49DE-9658-9544DAA0B46E.jpeg
D81E1270-89EA-4CAD-929F-B4584BCFEF78.jpeg

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good eye!
Yes, those bolts came with the blower kit. At a torque spec of 30 ft. lbs., I was not expecting Grade 8. Are you thinking they should be Grade 8?
(They are only finger tight for the mock up, so it is not too late).

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Yes, with the bending loads due to the stack up, blower pulley on top of damper then threaded to hub, I would be putting something quality in there.
First choice would be something ARP selected by shank length even if you have to remove excess thread from the overall length.
Step up from that would be studding it with ARP hardware.
Big blower pulleys hanging of the SB Chevs tiny crank snout is bad enough.
When you add in the extended length the LT1 adds, it gets scary.
The added benefit to the torque head set up is if the damper works loose or the key shears due to blower load, the engine shuts off.
Witnessed this recently.
May I recomend re checking the damper bolt from time to time.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Great advice. As an m.e. with a metallurgy background, I too am uneasy with how much the SB LT1 snout gets loaded on a double wide pulley set up. I will certainly take your advice and upgrade those bolts on final assembly. Thank you for offering the help. I will also keep an eye on the crank bolt.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts