Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off my car wouldn't turn over so I checked for spark and fuel pressure. Good fuel pressure ,no spark so I figured it was the Opti. Took apart the original AC Delco cleaned it up and replaced the CnR with an MSD kit. Put everything back on and YES IT STARTS! Ok as I'm burping the system CELL comes on....P0336. What could be the problem? I noticed when I cleaned the timing cover to change the WP drive seal and crank seal there is caked on oil all over especially around the crank sensor. Do you think that maybe it?
Everything seemed to drive fine until this morning at a light it hesitated slightly.
Any help is appreciated and welcomed!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Darned Near Same title As Your Thread

In my case it is: Rebuilt Opti Still P0336

The PO spent $1,100 on a 'dealership opti' (I saw the bill) and all he got (well turns out I got) one of the currently common AM units. It must not have corrected his prior P0336 code and he apparently removed the SEL bulb (yes I'm the dummy trusted him) to sell to me.

The mechanic must have messed with the timing cover because there's rockhard gray RTV slopped over everthing.
New sensor ($50) = still light Rebuilt a spare AC oem distributor with new AC C&R and new plugs & wires = still light

The car has always run great, light and all.
some things I've heard on this:
The CPS does little to nothing. It's pretty hard for it to affect running unless another associated problem. you may still have a vacuum or fuel or other electric issue going on for that miss.
Worn/old IC and/or ICM can cause the light
wiring to CPS gets baked and breaks. The plug gets oil logged and breaks.

I'll have mine programmed out when I get a tune.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts

The mechanic must have messed with the timing cover because there's rockhard gray RTV slopped over everthing.

might want to pull the CPS and look to see if any of that RTV is blocking the sensor form "seeing" the reluctor wheel....

There have been reports of aftermarket Opti slotted disc being "slightly" off in terms of lining up with the AC Delco disc. This misalignment, albeit slight, can differ from what the CPS is seeing from that reluctor..and throws a code

evidence of oil/grime/rtv may need attention along with condition of the 23+ year old wiring to the CPS

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The car has always run great, light and all.
some things I've heard on this:
The CPS does little to nothing. It's pretty hard for it to affect running unless another associated problem. you may still have a vacuum or fuel or other electric issue going on for that miss.
Worn/old IC and/or ICM can cause the light
wiring to CPS gets baked and breaks. The plug gets oil logged and breaks.

I'll have mine programmed out when I get a tune.
I was wondering if it did affect performance because I don't want to be driving around and it go out on me. Tomorrow definitely will clean out the connector and go from there.
Is changing out the CPS all that difficult? Do you need to crack open the TC to get to it?

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Is changing out the CPS all that difficult? Do you need to crack open the TC to get to it?

The CPS is just held on with one small bolt. Bottom DS of TC. Simple, no need to remove TC

take it off and wipe the end and look up in the hole it goes in to make sure there is no piece of crud in the way. Make sure the connector is not all FU with oil & crud and inspect the wires going into it for any breaks/cracks

I see your B/A pics. Looks like disc was line up correct on hub. Looks like you used some JB Weld or something on the alignment pins for it

IDK off hand how to test a CPS. FSM should have wiring diagram to back probe wires for continuity and or vdc check

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The CPS is just held on with one small bolt. Bottom DS of TC. Simple, no need to remove TC

take it off and wipe the end and look up in the hole it goes in to make sure there is no piece of crud in the way. Make sure the connector is not all FU with oil & crud and inspect the wires going into it for any breaks/cracks

I see your B/A pics. Looks like disc was line up correct on hub. Looks like you used some JB Weld or something on the alignment pins for it

IDK off hand how to test a CPS. FSM should have wiring diagram to back probe wires for continuity and or vdc check
Thanks Roger!
Yeah I saw somewhere to JB Weld it so it won't accidentally pop off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts