Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '94 RMW... the doppleganger to my burgundy '95, but without the smashed hood and rust! This car was sold to me as a 9/10 but when I arrived, the auxiliary terminal was melted (he told me this ahead of time so I grabbed the one off my '95), the fuel pump was fried, battery dead and started solenoid ended up burning out after replacing all the former on Sunday, until after midnight, with scissor jacks on the street in front of the sellers house.

My girlfriend and I grabbed a hotel and found someone who was able to rebuild the starter Monday morning, replace the solenoid and put it in the car for me while we waited. Fired right up and sounded good, so we made the 5 hour trip home, no prob! Today, I went out running errands and about half way through, I shut the car off and heard a whining noise coming from under the hood. Turns out the starter is running. I grabbed a crowbar to tap on the starter and while maneuvering it down through the engine bay, it stops. I go to start the car and it only clicks. The battery was one of the things replaced down in front of the seller's house, so that is new too. After about 5 minutes, it started no prob and I made another stop on the way home without issue.

Any idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
the "rebuilt" starter may be suspect. You could get under the car and look/confirm the wiring to starter is in good condition and connected securely. If previous AUX post was fried...maybe the battery cables also are fatigued/burnt

While any off the shelf auto part store battery cable is better than old burnt ones...if you are keeping the car long term Gary at www.innovativewireing.com makes a VERY good set

and if you find your rebuilt starter is bad get the "corvette" starter from Autozone. Cheaper, smaller and is a gear reduction type vs stock. Just ask for a starter for a 96 Vette

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I have Innovative Wiring cables on my '95 which I was planning to swap in.

I will crawl under and check the wiring and connections on the rebuilt starter. So far this is very sporadic... only happened once so far! Can a starter and solenoid be tested for intermittent probs?

What is a gear reduction type starter? I have a tendency to not trust AutoZone parts. I've gotten some pretty bad electrical components from those places before. Who makes the best quality Vette starter?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Actually, I have Innovative Wiring cables on my '95 which I was planning to swap in.

I will crawl under and check the wiring and connections on the rebuilt starter. So far this is very sporadic... only happened once so far! Can a starter and solenoid be tested for intermittent probs?

What is a gear reduction type starter? I have a tendency to not trust AutoZone parts. I've gotten some pretty bad electrical components from those places before. Who makes the best quality Vette starter?
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-336-1148-Professional-Starter-Remanufactured/dp/B000C9KXSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522210006&vehicle=1996-47-440-------------0&sr=1-1&ymm=1996:chevrolet:corvette&keywords=96+corvette+starter+delco

Amazon until recently listed showed this as brand new for about $240. Delco has better that most rebuilts.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
What is a gear reduction type starter? I have a tendency to not trust AutoZone parts.
The "vette" starter is a "offset gear reduction" type vs "permanent magnet gear reduction" type. Offset types have more Tq.

While I to shy away from AZ parts, their Vette starter is "new" vs reman..although there still is a core charge. Since the starters look completely different you can just return your current core later if you feel the counter guy will have a issue...he may not

This is what I, and many, got. It is made by Denso

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-gold-starter/470913_55002_0

or even cheaper from rockauto is a Remy

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6085875&cc=1041398&jsn=560

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool..... so AC Delco, Denso and Remy...... all about equal in quality for these started or do any have a tendency to rise above?

Speaking of quality made electrical.... I need to buy a new brass auxiliary positive battery terminal post. Where are these avail and any differences in quality? I’m gonna also need the little plastic cover that snaps over the brass plates at the bottom of the terminal.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
GM p/n 12176639. Sold as kit from GM dealer. Never heard of any aftermarket.

Hopefully still available.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Cool..... so AC Delco, Denso and Remy...... all about equal in quality for these started or do any have a tendency to rise above?

I can only speak of the Denso (AZ) but would have no problem with any of the 3. AZ "lifetime warranty" is very easy and readily available. I see the Remy say lifetime...good but the "ship it somewhere" takes some of the air out of the lower RA $

With that said the starter should last a very long time.

My stock one finally got to tired with my 383 at 90k mi. Have 42k now on the Denso. YMMV

On the AUX battery post, get the brass one. If you can't find it available somewhere new, ping Fred Kiehl on this site. He likely has or will have one soon

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Speaking of quality made electrical.... I need to buy a new brass auxiliary positive battery terminal post. Where are these avail and any differences in quality? I’m gonna also need the little plastic cover that snaps over the brass plates at the bottom of the terminal.

I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390765209738

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GM p/n 12176639. Sold as kit from GM dealer. Never heard of any aftermarket.

Hopefully still available.
It is! And so are the top and bottom covers, bolt, nuts and fuse box plates. Ordered 'em all so we'll be completely fresh!

Thank you so much for the part #. Where do you find your part numbers? I tried finding it here, but had no luck finding it until I had the actual part number; https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/1994/buick/roadmaster/base-trim/5-7l-v8-gas-engine/?search_str=1G4BR82P5RR428478

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I grabbed a remanned AC Delco Vette starter.

First off... is it really smaller? Haven't gotten under the car yet, but right off the bat, it seems bigger.

Secondly... doesn't the Roadmaster starter have 3 terminals? This one has 2.

Lastly... is the silver casing raw cast iron? If so, I'd like to paint it to keep form rusting. Or, does anyone make a Vette starter that comes powder coated or painted? If not, have you guys painted yours? What did you use and how is it holding up? Did you paint over all the Delco stamps and remove the stickers?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I grabbed a remanned AC Delco Vette starter.

First off... is it really smaller? Haven't gotten under the car yet, but right off the bat, it seems bigger.

Secondly... doesn't the Roadmaster starter have 3 terminals? This one has 2.

Lastly... is the silver casing raw cast iron? If so, I'd like to paint it to keep form rusting. Or, does anyone make a Vette starter that comes powder coated or painted? If not, have you guys painted yours? What did you use and how is it holding up? Did you paint over all the Delco stamps and remove the stickers?
1. Definitely smaller and lighter

2. RM and all of this type have 2 terminals that get connected. 3rd is for internal wiring with no user connections.

3. Case is aluminum.

What delco or GM p/n does yours show. Do you have a real Corvette unit?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
This is the AC Delco reman "Vette" starter.

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/starter/acdelco-starter/387558_23521_0

Many of us got the Denso (Duralast) "new" one at Autozone

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/starter/duralast-gold-starter/470913_55002_0

The Vette starter is smaller than the stock starters in B-bodys and also cheaper than a stock starter.

It is a off set gear reduction type vs Permanent magnet gear reduction

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/starter/acdelco-starter/387771_23521_0

Plug & play for install

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Ok, I put a Delco Vette starter on but it leaves a gap between the starter and trans shield. Should I seal that? If so, what should I use?
I would use a sealer material like DOW 795.. this is construction grade comes in typical caulk tube.. very flexible and sticks to every thing .. comes in many colors .

the other reason to use this is it is soft not hard , and if you need to remove the components no problem ,,I have used this on many repairs of metal / wood / even used it on asphalt driveway cracks .. more expensive than home depot quality caulk but this will out last the vehicle..

being down low in the cold north rust belt must be closed up.. frozen not good ..

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
The TC dust cover appears to have a larger hole than the M6 plate (which has no gaps like the TC cover) IMHO it should not be a problem unless you do drive the car in icy/snow conditions where some "may" get in that gap....of which IDK if that would even be a problem if it did

Argument could be made that "if" water got in and froze FW teeth up the starter may not then engage....guess anything is possible but how likely...IDK

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
The TC dust cover appears to have a larger hole than the M6 plate (which has no gaps like the TC cover) IMHO it should not be a problem unless you do drive the car in icy/snow conditions where some "may" get in that gap....of which IDK if that would even be a problem if it did

Argument could be made that "if" water got in and froze FW teeth up the starter may not then engage....guess anything is possible but how likely...IDK
more than ice/water going to get in ... in the rust belt corrosive road de icing will damage , wear out the starter ..

in Chicago possible some bullets could bounce in there LOL...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts