Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I was wondering what would be a really good sub for the set up I have so far. The system will be in a 1995 Dark cherry metallic impala ss, so far I have the 6.5 image dynamics components that will be powered by a alpine 2.150 pdx. The box I am waiting on is the ebay box im sure you guys have heard of, So Im looking to get 2 12s but I am at a crossroad on what will be good subs (not too expensive) for a 1.1000 alpine pdx. I am pretty simple minded when it comes to sound audio because i dont know much. So those are the things I have so far for my car. Anyone with some good advice on subs or anything to help out my install will be highly appreciated thanks in advance!

·
Registered
153 Posts
sundowns are great subs, got a set to replace my slightly cooked type-r's and man these subs can hit hard. Also this same company makes great amp's too and if you aren't sure about them, check out a few youtube vids on their subs and there is someone here on the forum that uses the subs in a big box that cracked his back glass not too long ago (he made a vid of it as well).

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
+1 on Sundowns i put 2 SD2 10" in my 2008 Silverado Crew Cab and they hit hard as hell... I wish i could have fit the SA Series in there but didnt have enough room... If i redo my impalas system i will do 2 or 3 sundown SA 12"s Also they dont cost as much as those played out brands lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whats your budget? And how much power does that Alpine amp put out?

+1 to Sundown Audio, ive had a pair of the SA 15s and they were very loud, but its alot of subs that will work in that box and sound great and be a lil cheaper than the SAs. Your talking about the sealed box that they sell on Ebay right?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My budget is around $300, My amp is a alpine pdx 1.1000. Whats a good sub to pair with this? I am looking for 1 12 that can handle the amp, i was looking for 2 12s but I want to save as much space as well so it all comes down to one sub that can handle 1000 watts rms. Note I have not done the big 3 yet and I have a stock alternator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want to do (2) Subs a pair of Kicker CVRs 12s can be had for less than $300 easly, but since you want to keep it simple, id suggest (1) Sundown Audio SA 12" in a custom ported box, will soak up the 1k from your Alpine easly, and get pretty loud. Doing it,.best of all, they run about $200 each brand new, so the extra $$ can go towards the box and the wire you will need for the Big 3

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive looked everywhere I cannot find the Sundown SA series for $200, Plus those subs are rated at 600 rms. Are you saying these subs can take 400 additional wattage rms daily? Will the sundowns get pretty loud even in my impala?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone got any videos with one sub in our cars I would like to get a idea on looks and how loud it can get in our big trunks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Those Sundowns will definitely handle 1kW RMS for daily use. Unlike name brands, brands like Sundown tend to underrate their products. They use a 3" coil. Most subs that say they handle 600 W RMS have either a 2" or maybe a 2.5" coil. Most kW subs have a 3" coil. If you want to stick with sound quality, try out Tidal Audio REF-TM12s. They're OEMed by Image Dynamics and are identical to the ID12V3 with the exception to the dust cap (it says "Tidal Audio" rather than having the ID logo on it), the basket is black instead of light gray, and it doesn't have the huge cover glued to the back of the motor. I verified this with Eric Stevens (the former owner of ID) on DIYMA. They can be had for about $80 shipped each on eBay until woofersect's stock runs out, since they haven't been made in years. I'm running two of the REF-TM12.4s in my Caprice in the eBay box with about 2.5 lbs of polyfill. They play incredibly cleanly, low, and can get pretty loud, considering they're 2 12s in a sealed enclosure on 500 watts. If you went that route though, I wouldn't recommend running your amp at the nominal setting. Turn the gain down to lower the power output, unless you like smoking voice coils.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Although, I don't have a video. I built my box custom 4 cu. ft. BIG Box put two 12" MTX 7500 thunder series in there. Clarion 1600 powers those two @ 600rms. I love bass but it was ridiculous...So even if you went with only a single sub and like ejschultz said check the ratings out. Below is not my imp but the same effect was bass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts