Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the red stick on bowtie for the grille. Do you just apply it over the chrome one or does the original one come off?
I tried searching using the term Install+bowtie but not much specific info.
Looking at the chrome one it does not appear to have any mechanical fasteners. Is it just stuck on?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
You need to remove the original first. Just warm up the emblem a little by putting the grill in the sun or use a hair dryer to soften up the tape that holds it on.

I think there is a hole behind the grill so you can use a small Phillips or drive to start pushing it off the grill. Carefully remove the remaining tape and residue, apply new bow tie and enjoy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to remove the original first. Just warm up the emblem a little by putting the grill in the sun or use a hair dryer to soften up the tape that holds it on.

I think there is a hole behind the grill so you can use a small Phillips or drive to start pushing it off the grill. Carefully remove the remaining tape and residue, apply new bow tie and enjoy.
Thanks much..... I kind of thought it was stuck on, but wanted to check before I screwed it up.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Just be careful using heat to remove....the grill is just plastic. It may be best to remove the emblem first by pushing it off from behind. Then use adhesive remover to clean off the old tape.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's been a long time since I removed my stock emblem, but after the sun warms it up, get some fishing line behind it. Then act like you're flossing and move it along.

There should also be two holes on the backside (as previously mentioned)...

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Just take a look for yourself. The information here is all you need.

1. There are some holes that you can poke through to displace the emblem
2. Adhesive will come off more easily if heated
3. Once it begins to give, try something like fishing line to cut through the remaining adhesive
4. Adhesive remover can go a long way i.e. Goo Gone
5. Take your time

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is absolutely no requirement to remove the chrome one other than the depth that the red one would sit at. Eons ago when my SS required a new front end due to the idiocy of a van driver, it received the stock grille at the dealership. When I saw it, I reminded them of the red bowtie, and I got it back the next day with it applied over the chrome one. It's still that way today, 15 years later. I had thought of re-doing it (prior grille had it inset where the chrome had been) but decided I liked the more pronounced look with it over the chrome.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I wanted to see the red emblem lol
check the "Post your best BBB pics" thread which is a sticky in this section. Lots of good pics there. The chrome looks good but I think the Red looks better on a Black car.

OP. - the tech archives has info on the Red Bow tie install along with another option to just cover it with tape. Links don't work, just scroll down to it.

http://www.goldsswagon.com/Impala SS Technical Archives.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.