Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
The decades-old mantra sounds like it applies perfectly:
1. Close computer, wait 30 seconds and reboot.
2. Clear cache, flush DNS, kill cookies....
3. Update virus definitions, run MWB, CCleaner, run Panda online virus scan, run AdAware
4. And don't respond to messages from generous or just instantly wealthy Nigerians just grateful to be alive wishing to impart their fortune on strangers

5. If you're using a phone for a computer then WhatsApp may have hacked the security.

·
Administrator
450 Posts
First time I’ve been on in a while. I keep getting redirected to a spam “winner of some [email protected]!& drawing” and have to completely close my mobile browser and restart my page.
Hello there,

The next time this happens, grab us the full URL of that pop-up and we'll get it escalated.
Techs will get it blocked.

Ed

·
Registered
976 Posts
I suspect he's referring to a phone...and if so when it happens grabbing the url is impossible.
It comes from advertisements, and when it happens almost always requires killing the mobile browser.
They sneak the crap into ads folks are hosting on sites, very hard to combat.
The site/server requests the ad, ad loads the popup crap.

·
Administrator
450 Posts
If I recall, when that white pop-up occurs, you'll need to click "ok", then it'll redirect you to the ad pop-up.
Afterward, you'll be able to copy the full URL.

Ed

·
Registered
976 Posts
If I recall, when that white pop-up occurs, you'll need to click "ok", then it'll redirect you to the ad pop-up.
Afterward, you'll be able to copy the full URL.

Ed
Even so, it won't tell you the offending ad/server that is forcing the page just the "target" spam crap.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I ALWAYS default to working with a real 'puter with anything wonky or suspect, whether pc- or phone-related. I know, a dinosaur. But, have had scads-squared better luck with a real OS v. android. i-stuff GWS.

Truth be told likely find stuff on this current nuisance by duckduckgo-ing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The decades-old mantra sounds like it applies perfectly:
1. Close computer, wait 30 seconds and reboot.
2. Clear cache, flush DNS, kill cookies....
3. Update virus definitions, run MWB, CCleaner, run Panda online virus scan, run AdAware
4. And don't respond to messages from generous or just instantly wealthy Nigerians just grateful to be alive wishing to impart their fortune on strangers

5. If you're using a phone for a computer then WhatsApp may have hacked the security.
That's a ton of work to do over fishy advertisement.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Granted. But just applying the same rationale as with a mechanical device to pay attention to possibly overdue PM as prime suspects with curing any ill, - while already under the hood so to speak.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yeah but none of those would do anything...especially with this specific issue. Except maybe reboot.

1)You don't have to wait 30 seconds after shutting the computer down.
2)Is a carryover from the 90's as far as cache and cookies go
3)Your antivirus should always keep itself up to date automatically. But running 4 separate scans is a giant waste of time.

I think it's like the others said, and he's on a phone. Happens to me sometimes on legit sites. These advertisements get pushed through that redirect to pages like the OP mentioned. I mean sites like fox news, etc. It's really annoying. On the computer I run adblock so I don't see any ads but I have heard of people complaining about spam advertisements on the desktop version of this site before too.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's the ad peddlers/pushers and has little to do with the site you're on.
They find ways to trick browsers into launching the crap.
Big $ in ad the game so pissing off a few folks means nothing to them.

I've never had it happen on a laptop/real computer.

Some sites have so many ads hosted they're useless. This site is pretty bad I can't visit it on my laptop without ad blocker and it being in classic view mode.
Have an older ipad and can't visit it at all just crashes the browser.
On my phone unless I use classic view same deal just unusable.

·
Administrator
450 Posts
It's on our end, not yours. There is an exploit with Apple and Android devices and some site that's allowing the popups in. They sneak in through the regular communication that places regular ads here. We're working on it, and for the short term, if you report the link that it takes you to, I can put a specific block so at least that link shouldn't come back.

This happens because malicious coders buying ad space from Google, Rubicon, and all manner of other providers, and writing ads that trigger those obnoxious redirects when you're on a desktop skin on a mobile device. It's also not localized to us, it's a global ad issue, CNN, buzzfeed, msnbc, any site that uses these adsense type ads. We're trying to catch them as we get them.

Here's an article on it if you want to read:
https://adexchanger.com/publishers/forced-redirect-ads-cost-publishers-money-blocking/

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts