Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is there an aftermarket source for the clear plexiglas cover for the instrument cluster?

2. Has anyone ever 'polished' or refurbished theirs to remove any scratching or hazing? Mine isn't horrible, but I'd like it to look better.
I actually got a junkyard donor over the weekend, which is also in good condition but does have some light screatching.

I've never tried to refinish plastic before, and have always heard about light abrasives like toothpaste. I was wondering if some Meguiar's fine cut cleaner would help, or some of the Zaino scratch & swirl remover I've got.

Looking for any suggestions or recommendations!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Junior. What about using s good headlight restorer? I also have some stuff I bought from a police supply that I used on my light bar. It worked ok but didn't last long. It might be good since it's not exposed to the elements. I would think that you would have to start out sanding it with 600 grit and working up to about 2000.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Junior. What about using s good headlight restorer? I also have some stuff I bought from a police supply that I used on my light bar. It worked ok but didn't last long. It might be good since it's not exposed to the elements. I would think that you would have to start out sanding it with 600 grit and working up to about 2000.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. I'll talk with my dad since I know bought some of that and used it on my brother's car a while ago. It's prob just sitting on a shelf somewhere in his garage.

That's a good thought.

Also, I wanted to see just for $hits and giggles here whether it was available aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
This is what I have: Plexus Plastic Cleaner I also have some Meguirar's Mirror Glaze 10. They worked but as I said they were exposed. I would get some micro fiber cloths, HF good source. (Cheap) Sand with progressively finer grits and use copious amounts of water. Be careful, suggestion,:grin2: and check some spot that is not too obvious in case things go south on it.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Before trying a headlight product I would suggest you stop in at a motorcycle shop and ask about products for helmet visors. I have not looked at them for years but they worked well. I use a product years ago to polish a set of plastic eye glasses that had been ground into concrete. The result was good enough until the custom lenses were replaced weeks later.

I would not try sand paper. I checked the leftovers from the last headlight I did. 600 to 2500. I would think you would need better for the cluster.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I use NOVUS professional plastic products to restore the clear lenses on our clusters. First spray with quick detailer,then clay the face of the lense. Then use #3 and #2 products with a 3" medium cut foam. Higher speed with #3,medium speed with #2. Finally use a soft final finish foam with #1. On inside of lense(facing the gauges), spray a little #1 and gently wipe with a super soft clean micro to remove any out gassing.

I've restored over 250 of these lenses.Takes time and patience. If deep scatches,you'll need to wet sand gently a bit at a time with a quality paper.1,500-3,000.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
those are some great looking results Jimpala

I did mine two of them, I could not find new old stock Camaro lenses from the dealer.

I bought one from the salvage yard, very bad condition but cheap

I started by sanding it (front and back) with 800 grit sand paper to remove deep scratches

worked my way up 1200 grit --> 2000 grit --> 3000 grit

after the 3000 grit sand paper prep any generic buffer will make your plastic shine.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I've never had to sand the inside of the lense.Every one I've done all the inside needed was a careful cleaning and gentle polishing.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those are some great looking results Jimpala
Absolutely beautiful. I'm glad I waited to see more replies on my thread!!

I did mine two of them, I could not find new old stock Camaro lenses from the dealer.

I bought one from the salvage yard, very bad condition but cheap

I started by sanding it (front and back) with 800 grit sand paper to remove deep scratches

worked my way up 1200 grit --> 2000 grit --> 3000 grit

after the 3000 grit sand paper prep any generic buffer will make your plastic shine.
I had no idea that ya could get that inexpensive material to shine like that! That's awesome!

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Looks like there are a few vids out ther on how to polish a cluster lens.....

I'd certainly try cleaning it up before buying 1. Got nothing to lose and looks very doable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just pulled my cluster front off, and I found that there was a window film on the inside. Thats not stock is it ? I mean, its like the film used to tint windows. Its not real dark , but I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to make the cluster display darker.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
Meguiar's PlastX has worked instant miracles on every instrument cluster and radio / climate control face I've ever used it on. Just use a clean cloth and put a little on. Rub in the back and forth strokes until it starts to squeak, then wipe it off and you're done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts