Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clear coat on my SS's wheels are a little shoddy, i'd like to get the clear coat stripped off & a better one applied & keep the "machined" look of the stock wheels (not polished out or chromed), has any one else had this done? And if there are any good shops that do wheels in the NY/NJ area that can do this? TIA.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes I have done this. I had the wheels remachined, repainted, and reclear-coated. It cost about $125 per wheel. As for finding a local place, all I can tell you is to look in the yellow pages under wheel repair. Go to all the shops and have them show you around then choose the place to do your wheels.

------------------

[email protected]
<LI>Tom - San Diego, CA 1996 BBB #5092
<LI> T-84 Headlights w/Piaa 80/80 H4's, 160 therm, slotted discs, custom intake, muffler delete, custom sheepskins, steath brake bolt, body bushings, RE 730's, Bilsteins, Amsoil Synthetics & Filters throughout.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yes I have done this. I had the wheels remachined, repainted, and reclear-coated. It cost about $125 per wheel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would mean that a set of 4 cost $500.00 to refinish. You can get a new set for $700.00, including center caps and new lug nuts. I would say that you should buy the new ones, keep the best of the four you have now for your spare and then sell the other three for $75.00 each and get more than your extra $200.00 back.

Fletch

------------------
Running the wheels of my 95 DCM
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Brake Pads, Cross Drilled Rotors, Stealth Bolt Modification. 9C1 Air Dam, Dust Sheilds & Oil Sender. Custom Fresh air intake, MSD wires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fletch:
Not necessarily. The clear-coat that the factory wheels have on them is garbage. If you have your wheel refinish buy a professional company I can almost guarantee that you will not have that clouding that occurs to the factory wheels in the future. Another thing I chose to do is have the lip of the rim polished and not cleared. This is so I can continue to polish the lip as I see fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Fletch, a set of 4, DELIVERED, is only about $630-640 for you (tiny bit more for me, since I'm further away) from Dal. They are $148 each ($592 for 4) plus shipping (under $10/rim easy for you, about $12-14 each for me).

Of course, if you want to pay $700 PLUS shipping thru NAISSO (or even more from other sources), be my guest

As for my stock rims (since they are my "race" rims and show-quality looks are secondary) : I'm debating trying something interesting color-wise with them. If it comes out like crap, oh well....they're only my race rims

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok my web site is back up! Note the original gray paint between the 5 spokes. I am as I speak getting them painted factory black then recleared. I can't wait to see how it looks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I really like the way the factory rims look (I know, corny) but the factory clear coat is garbage, an option I was thinking of was to have the spokes done in DCM & keeping the rim section stock.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSmokybear,
You've got to post pictures of you black stock SS wheels when they're done, I've been thinking about doing this myself, or maybe a translucent black like the smoked taillights
P.S. what the link to your web site?

------------------
Danny In Mtl
94SS BBB
64SS BBB
93FXST Chopper
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm looking at powdercoating them all black (remember, I DON'T run centercaps while racing) and then maybe some subtle red accents (maybe as simple as a couple of red pinstripes around the edge, like the AR767 rims). But, it'll be another month or two before I get around to that (need to use up the Kumhos that are on the rims first).

A buddy just got the Eastwood Home Powdercoating kit, so we'll try that.

------------------

Ed Runnion -- Sunnyvale CA -- 96 BBB, Many Mods
[email protected]
www.runnion.net
ROD, HAIL, ISSCA, NAISSO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here is the sneak preview. Just went to the paint shop tonight and took these. They still need to dry and be buffed out. They only shot the clear a couple of hours before I got there. I will post the completely finished product when they are installed on the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Ed,
If you want to get an idea of what the wheels would look like, I am running a set of widened ROH's with the center spokes powder coated black. I don't have a way to post the pic, but I can e-mail you some if you want.
Let me know.
Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.