Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forums for an answer on this but I was not able to. Of course if someone can direct me to a thread on this that would be great...

The question is on a refurbished PCM for a '95 Caprice with the LT1. The car is OBD I of course and I have a laptop with interface and ALDL cable, etc.with software where I have read the current PCM's programming with C.A.T.S Winflash and saved it to a .bin file. Is the programming of this refurbished PCM (assuming I get this) a matter of swapping in this PCM in its place from the old one in the car and using C.A.T.S Winflash to program it with that saved tune bin file? Or is there more to this? I believe you can use the EEhack software to program in the VIN if you wanted to. The car is stock so nothing was done with the changing of the tune.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Yes, you should be able to do as you say,
As long as the " refurbished " ecu has some calibration in it so it can talk.
Never used ehack but know and have done vin changes with TC program.
Doesn't change the internal id but does change the serial number it displays when read.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for that info. The refurbished pcm I was looking at were the ones you can get from RockAuto. The Standard and AC Delco one both say “requires programming“. That’s why I asked.

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I can not answer with any first hand knowledge if you could load your calibration in a refurbished PCM using winflash.
Sorry, I just do not know what state the PCM is in .
It might need a factory type programmer like Tech2
Honestly dont know , sorry

Begs the question, have you thought of used? Lots around
Where are you ?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The question is on a refurbished PCM for a '95 Caprice with the LT1. The car is OBD1 of course and I have a laptop with interface and ALDL cable, etc with software where I have read the current PCMs programming with C.A.T.S. Winflash and saved it to a .bin file.

Is the programming of this refurbished PCM (assuming I get this) a matter of swapping in this PCM in its place from the old one in the car and using C.A.T.S. Winflash to program it with that saved tune bin file? Or is there more to this?
I believe you can use the EEhack software to program in the VIN if you wanted to.
The car is stock so nothing was done with the changing of the tune.
There may be even LESS to this.
IF your '95 Caprice LT1 is a 2.56 wagon, you only need to change the VIN, as RockAuto pcms almost always have an OEM 2.56 wagon .bin file.
If I'm wrong about the RockAuto pcm in question, it could still very well have the same OEM .bin file as yours, and all you need do is change the VIN anyway.

If the program in that pcm is not the same as yours, WinFlash will write your .bin file into the RockAuto pcm just fine.
If WINflash lacks VIN editing, use $EEhack to change the VIN.

Whether or not your .bin file is OEM, be sure your AIRpump enable temp is 120°C or more.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
eehack's flashing capability has been migrated to FlashHack. It is far better and faster. I'd just use FlashHack. I do not know if WinFlash has been updated with FlashHack's algorithms (probably not because WinFlash is proprietary and FlashHack is open source), but FlashHack's window of vulnerability is literally only 7 seconds.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Usually a 2.56-LT1 .bin file that works for some Fleetwood / Roadmaster sedans, and wagons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - great info on this everyone.... and thanks. So the PCM should ship with some calibration which makes sense. And I'll take a look at that air pump temp calibration. All I did was get the calibration from the current PCM and saved it as a bin file using CATS Winflash. BTW I live in the NYC/Long Island area..

Thanks again everyone....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts