Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to installing my new opti and the 3 TC seals. I have done quite a few searches and still have a couple unanswered questions I need some help with before I proceed and a to have a few ideas confirmed?

1. The new crank seal is to be lubricated?
2. The WP and opti seals are to be dry?
3. Blue loctite is to be used on opti screws?
4. When the hub is reinstalled does it have to be lined up according to this procedure? http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/remove...lt1-crank-hub/
I am not sure why it is paramount to line the hub up as its location should have no effect on the timing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
You should be able to tell where it was if you look inside the hub. Usually there is an oil mark where the key slot was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuzzcar,

You should be able to tell where it was if you look inside the hub. Usually there is an oil mark where the key slot was.
There is actually a bit of a score mark which is the same width as the keyway. It runs the entire length on the inside of the hub crank side. I imagine that would be the mark of which you speak? I will carefully mark it on the outside edge and line it up with the keyway. I will do my best to get it right on but I imagine there is no way to get it exact.

So what do you think am I on the right track here?

I have been putting this job off as long as I could. I’m a little nervous about all this as from what I’ve read a lot can go wrong. I have built a few motors back in the day when nothing seemed this detail/critical and when a seal leaking only meant you had to replace the seal when ever you got around to it. Didn’t realize that leak could take out my distributor nor that it would be quite as involved of a job.

Thank you for the help,

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
[SNIP]

4. When the hub is reinstalled does it have to be lined up according to this procedure? http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/remove...lt1-crank-hub/
I am not sure why it is paramount to line the hub up as its location should have no effect on the timing?

Thanks,

I did the timing chain cover seals, water pump, and opti in the spring. I happened to take a picture of my hub when it was off. You can see a 'ghost/phantom line' down the hub where it aligns with the keyway in the crankshaft.

The crank hub positioning will have no effect on timing, but it will have the pointer on the hub, when at 12 O'clock (Installed correctly) will tell you when #1 cylinder is on T.D.C.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
1. The new crank seal is to be lubricated?
2. The WP and opti seals are to be dry?
3. Blue loctite is to be used on opti screws?

Thanks,

1. yes
2. yes
3. red lock tite on "rotor" screws
4. has no effect on timing but in it's correct position the cast pointer is usefull as pointing at the 12 oclock position (top) when putting motor to TDC.

the WP drive seal can be tricky to install without using a tool or socket to slide it on so the lip does not fold over when putting the seal over the WP drive shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.