Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had mine for 4 years now and can't think of any cons.

The only problem I could imagine with one is if it was not installed with the proper safeguards. If you somehow left your car in gear and remote started it, you could get yourself into some deep dung

And I'm not just talking body repair.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a CON

My remote start is posessed. When I turn it on with the remote it turns off in about 5-10 seconds. Why is this, is it because of a relay problem, failing fuse(s), or programming problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here is a con I never thought of until it burned my 95 SS...

When getting ready for the 2003 racing season we were doing a bunch of last minute mods. We swapped fuel rails, and my buddy didn't realize that the Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator needed to be bolted to the back of the intake.

You guessed it! Eventually the weight pulled the line out of the intake, spraying gas all over the motor...INSTANT FLAMBE!

It gets worse. The fire may or may not have burned itself out, but since the wiring under the hood fried, the remote start kept trying to start the car. Every 15 seconds it kept cranking the motor and spraying more gas at 48psi all over the motor. You can almost see the burn pattern from the damage. My buddy was standing there (I was out of town) watching my car burn and the thing that made him sickest (besides almost dying) was hearing the motor cranking every 15 seconds and seeing the flames jump as more fuel was sprayed on the motor.

Obviously this is a fluke thing but I definitely think it qualifies as a CON! Go to my website if you want to see all the carnage.

Before:

After:

Funny this thread came up, it is almost one year to the day since this happened (3/14/03).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The VATS is not bypassed. It is bypassed but only momentarily by the remote starter and then all is normal again. I don't think there are any cons if:

a) get a starter with a tach sense and off switch
b) turn off the remote starter with the off switch when doing any work on the car, especially if battery is disconnected and then reconnected (most will try to start themselves in this scenario).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but who makes such a remote starter? Bill I just checked your website and I must say, that FREAKED ME OUT!!! :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been very happy with my Crimestopper Rs-900. It has all of the safeguards and a valet switch. It also has a tach sensor and a crank learn mode. Best of all they are less than $75 on Ebay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Highway Superstar:
Yeah but who makes such a remote starter? :confused:
I am using a compustar 2WSS-AS and have had no problems.
Viper also makes a good 2 way system.

Get a 2 way starter/alarm system that tells you the car started not a $50 cheapo.
Hook up the hood switch that will disable the start function if the hood is open.
Get a system that will only try to start it once to avoid the flaming restart if the worst happens.
Solder all connections.
Install it your self, I don't trust many shops to do the install properly.
Look What I found under my dash from the previous owner, shop installed alarm. note how may scotchlock wire taps are on the main ignition harness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
needs a hood pin switch to keep remote start from cranking w/hood open. never had this happen to any of my customers cars. [almost 20 years at this] those switches are fairly cheap. saves fingers. it does need to be checked from time to time. they tend to corrode & wont work if you wash onder hood a lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill...Those photos are enough to make a mortician quiver.

JBoy...How much was that compuStar one?...was it just the starter.? I have the Viper...all I'm looking for is the add on.

Coprice9c1...Was that ebay one just the starter or the whole alarm/starter combo? Also..Did it come with the pin for the hood?

Thanks Fellas..

After I get it..I might need some assistance in installing it. True, I don't trust the shops anymore since they tapped into a wrong wire when I had the alarm installed that caused my CEL to pop up. I got more TAPS under my dash than a River Dance show!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by ENDANGERED:
JBoy...How much was that compuStar one?...was it just the starter.? I have the Viper...all I'm looking for is the add on.
I got the alarm/starter for $250 they also have a starter only version but I don't know how much it is. If you like the compustar then you need to find a local shop that will sell it uninstalled, most won't and compustar will only sell to installers. If you have a viper system you may want to stick with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coprice9c1...Was that ebay one just the starter or the whole alarm/starter combo? Also..Did it come with the pin for the hood?
That model is a remote start/keyless entry/trunk release combo. Crimestopper does make alarm/starter combo kits and two ways. I didn't need the alarm portion and I NEVER start my car if I don't have a visual on it so I didn't need a two way.

It does come with the hood switch as well as a connection to the brake switch to kill the motor if the brake is pressed during a remote start. There is also a LED indicator and a starter kill relay can be added for additional security. I looked at a bunch of them and thought it was the best equipment and value I could find. Plus the remote looks good.

Crimestopper

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a good deal on a Bulldog RS1200E (remote start / keyless entry / trunk pop) through Ebay and I've been pretty happy with it. I also bought an RS1300E which is a 1200 + alarm that I like. They were dirt cheap ($55-65), and Bulldog has decent customer service and lots of add-ons that allow you to customize to your application. These remote starters do have tach inputs, which I'd highly, highly recommend. Just make sure you grab the tach input off the coil, because the A13 pcm signal isn't strong enough to talk to the remote starter.

Cons: it takes TIME and thought to install one of these well. Make sure every wiring connection is perfect, think about where you're going to mount everything before you wire, and plan an entire weekend to install it. B-bodies are pretty easy compared to my wife's '98 Malibu - I had probably 15 hours into that job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had R/S for years in every vehicle.

The only con I can speak for is you get what you pay for.
My $50 JC Whitney/Sam's Club gave up within 2 years on all 3 cars. PIA to rewire.

I bought the $250 Hornet 554T with 2 way and alarm and I love it. This is made by DEI and is the same as the Viper, but for the DIYer since a Viper must be installed by a dealer. It has all the goodies, plus alarm and interior temp. It will turn on if the temp gets too cold.

If you do it yourself, plan about 6-8 hours to do it right. I took the dash out to make it easy. It has the tach-sensing and the directions say to use a wire in the main harness, but I used the one going to the instrument cluster.

It also has a wire that you can use to start from inside without a key. If you put it to a momentary switch (I used the trip button not in use after my z28 cluster swap) that goes to ground, it will start the car but not unlock the wheel or let you move it. And I can hit this switch with the key in and it will let me remove the key, a very nice feature getting coffee in the morning.

It will lock and unlock the doors too and there are many options you can change such as parking light flashes, alarm siren, run times, etc. This has so many options, I don't want to make the post any longer, you can check the website.

I bought mine from dr. detail. Excellent customer service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just bought a 95 caprice/ converted to an impala ss clone. Getting an alarm is pretty high priority to me and I have like a $400 price range any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just got the avital 3300(dei brand) remote start installed 3 days ago before i had the basic viper 330. the second day i was taking my car through the car wash(normally wash my car by hand but was in a rush) and my car just shuts off in the middle of the wash. so im like wtf is going on it comes to the end of the line and i have to get out to push the car so the other cars behind me can get out. first i thought the battery died(dont know what i was thinking since the car was running). tried to charge it then nothing happened so i wait a few minutes and leave the key in the on postion smokes starts coming from under the hood and im really freaking out that the installer really messed something up real bad.
get it towed back to the shop that did the work and it seem the installer screwed up and left the starter coil wireloom longer than it was suppose to be and it fell on the manifold and burnt the wireloom and wire(smoke). long story short they had to replace starter coil and wireloom not to mention the 4 hours it took for tow truck to come and get car fixed( missed my class luckily we didn't have a test). everything thing is good now and i been loving every moment of the rs really nice for those cold days.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.