Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the exhaust manifold & catalytic converter be removed from the car while still bolted together?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes, but why?

Cat is heavier than it looks and manifold is cast iron.

Very easy to separate.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I would agree with Grandpa....Why? It's really just 3 Bolts connecting each Cat to the manifold and they're reall easy to get to anyway.

Ken brings up a very good point with the EGR connection. That little bolt is a MOFO to get to even with the Cat removed. Not sure i'd even want to attempt it with the Cat in the way.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I would agree with Grandpa....Why? It's really just 3 Bolts connecting each Cat to the manifold and they're reall easy to get to anyway.

+1. Er, or is that 2?

Big-, if worried about (or already encountering) rounded nuts then successive rounds of pb blaster, hammer strikes, and/or heat has helped me in the past. All that plus an impact further eases everything.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The drivers side manifold and cat can come out together. The passenger side will have to be removed separately. FYI, the nuts that hold the cat to the manifold are 15mm. The bolts that hold the manifold to the head are 9/16. I believe the EGR tube to the manifold is 10mm. As others have mentioned, you'll want to spray some PB Blaster, or penetrating lube of your choice onto everything to ensure they come apart without too much drama. Lastly, be aware of the spark plugs, and the temperature sensor on the passenger side head.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Agreed with HuSSker. I've done it both ways and from now on I just blast the nuts off with my impact and then pay a muffler or welding shop to torch out the studs. Dorman sells replacement studs and nuts cheap, and the gaskets are cheap too.

When you take the exhaust manifolds off, if you're planning to reuse them, take them to a machine shop and have them planed flat before you reinstall. This prevents leaks and broken bolts in the future.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
The drivers side manifold and cat can come out together.
The passenger side will have to be removed separately.
Both sides will actually come out manifold and cat together.
The trick is to jack the car up high enough for the pass side to come down at a
45 degr. angle.

Nab

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Both sides will actually come out manifold and cat together.
The trick is to jack the car up high enough for the pass side to come down at a 45 degr. angle.
Yeah but that's pretty dang high, because it needs to come out just about vertical. And it still doesn't help you with the EGR tube bolt. The time I spent trying to get the car high enough to do that I could have better spent busting off those bolts and having a shop torch them out, which is what I ended up doing.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
The time I spent trying to get the car high enough
to do that I could have better spent busting off those bolts and having a shop torch
them out, which is what I ended up doing.
Are you serious? It'd take all but 5 minutes to jack the car up,
but I guess I'd rather break the nuts off, then drive the manifolds
to the machine shop, leave them for a few days, then have to PAY
them to "torch" the bolts. C'mon man!

Nab

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Lol We all be driving ourselves nuts with this. Ima just waiting for Big- to check in and fess up on what he's up to with the original premise.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Are you serious? It'd take all but 5 minutes to jack the car up,
but I guess I'd rather break the nuts off, then drive the manifolds
to the machine shop, leave them for a few days, then have to PAY
them to "torch" the bolts. C'mon man!
Nab
Not if you're working in a low height garage, and you have a buddy who's a mobile machinist who comes to your house and got them all out in 20 minutes for $20. Your situation is different from mine. When I was in upstate NY, any muffler shop could get these bolts out for you fast for cheap.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It would be useful if the OP would tell us why they need to be removed together.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was actually able to get all 6 studs/nuts off without breaking any of them. I could almost hear John Madden "I can't believe it!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts