Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace my stearing wheel with an aftermarket wood grain type, any tips?

I looked for this question on the forums and couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
I have done a couple of them. You have to remove the clockspring. The easiest way is to clip the yellow wire under the dash, and put a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor across the plug for the airbag. I got 2, 4 ohm 10 watt resistors from Radio Shack, and ran them in parallel for 2 ohms, and plugged the ends of the wires in the connector. There are 2 or 4 small tabs on the top inside of the column trim which can interfere with the trim on the adapter. You can remove them flush with the inside. I used a cutter on a dremel or possibly a good sharp flush style wire cutter, just make sure you do not cause stress cracks in the column trim.

The installation is pretty straight forward. You have a choice of Grant style 5 hole, Nardi 6 hole, or MOMO 6 hole. NRG makes nice Adapters for Nardi and MOMO. Apple289 on ebay makes some nice inexpensive adapters for Nardi, MOMO, and Grant, Grant makes their own. You should get a spring horn contact wire from another older car without the airbag (you can sell the current airbag complete). The only concern is the dish of the wheel. Just get it on in the same position as the old one. Tools you need: a large socket set, steering wheel puller, circlip pliers, wire cutter, and a soldering iron for the resistors.

Materials: spring wire for horn, 2 ohm 10 watt resistor(s) (if you use the 2 resistor setup, you will need a soldering iron and rosin core solder), shrink tubing for the resistor leads, steering wheel adapter, steering wheel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have done a couple of them. You have to remove the clockspring. The easiest way is to clip the yellow wire under the dash, and put a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor across the plug for the airbag. I got 2, 4 ohm 10 watt resistors from Radio Shack, and ran them in parallel for 2 ohms, and plugged the ends of the wires in the connector. There are 2 or 4 small tabs on the top inside of the column trim which can interfere with the trim on the adapter. You can remove them flush with the inside. I used a cutter on a dremel or possibly a good sharp flush style wire cutter, just make sure you do not cause stress cracks in the column trim.

The installation is pretty straight forward. You have a choice of Grant style 5 hole, Nardi 6 hole, or MOMO 6 hole. NRG makes nice Adapters for Nardi and MOMO. Apple289 on ebay makes some nice inexpensive adapters for Nardi, MOMO, and Grant, Grant makes their own. You should get a spring horn contact wire from another older car without the airbag (you can sell the current airbag complete). The only concern is the dish of the wheel. Just get it on in the same position as the old one. Tools you need: a large socket set, steering wheel puller, circlip pliers, wire cutter, and a soldering iron for the resistors.

Materials: spring wire for horn, 2 ohm 10 watt resistor(s) (if you use the 2 resistor setup, you will need a soldering iron and rosin core solder), shrink tubing for the resistor leads, steering wheel adapter, steering wheel.
Quick question will the NRG guick release adapters work with the billet style wheels.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Quick question will the NRG guick release adapters work with the billet style wheels.
If the wheel has a Nardi or MOMO bolt pattern. You will have to use the NRG close adapter, and the thin release. You also may find that the reach to the turn signal stalk is a little long. Some horn buttons are deep and can interfere with the quick release adapter. There are spacers/adapters which range from 1/2 inch to 1 inch, but then you will surely have reach issues with the turn signal arm. In the case where you use a spacer/adapter, you may be able to get away with a "no dish" wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts