Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know the answer is YES you gotta remove the rear support to put on the rollpan, but i thought maybe some of yall worked around it. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not I. I figured you could fit a flat piece of steel across there for some support but as of right now I'm supportless. :D

The shocks will still fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have acquired a piece of 3/8x3x5 steel angle, which I will drill up to match the bolt pattern of the shocks. Should work sweet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darryl i would love to see a pic.so i know what to look for, i have access to steel bits and drills all day at work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a pic of the support that is inside the bumper (all nasty and rusty from sitting outside)

You can see the four mounting bolts for the shocks. As is, it's too deep to fit in the rollpan. Find a piece of flat steel somewhere about as wide as the mounting bolts and drill 4 holes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, any reasonably thick piece of flat bar should work, but I am using angle for the stiffness/strength. Just going to match drill the shock holes, and have the angle go over the top of the shocks (flat) and the other leg vertical with the mounting holes on that leg. Hope that made sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the angle is a good idea. You want it to be rigid as well. I think a flat piece might just bend and try to pull the frame rails together if you get hit.

By the way, my wife had a Jeep Grand Cherokee run into the back of her car. he didn't even hit the bumper (it's a stock bumper). The entire impact was absorbed by the tailgate of the wagon. The Jeep's hood was buckled, the lights were all broken out, and it was spraying antifreeze all over the road. My wife's wagon just needed a new tailgate... the glass didn't even break!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.