Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed the dome light in my 96ss and learned a few things. the lens does not come out . The grey plastic collar holds the lens in place and clips on to the plate attached to the roof. I pried down the front of the grey plastic collar and slid it back for removal. The base plate is attached to the roof with two Christmas tree shaped studs which are METAL and push up into holes in a bracket and are attached to the base plate like a rivet. Why the engineers didn’t use two screws to attach the base plate is beyond me. If you pry down on the plastic base plate attempting to pull out the studs you will be buying a new base plate cause they don’t come out like plastic fasteners. You have to slide needle nose pliers between the base plate and headliner , grab the stud and move it sideways a bit pulling it down out of the hole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck

I had the ame problem time ago and learned a coulpe of things: 1.- It is maded to be replaced each time you take it out and 2.- if you are lucky to take out with out broken, use a couple of hard disk neodimiun magnets to fixs it again to the roof. it will no move never

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
That's weird I never had a problem and I've changed the bulb Color several times

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Never had any problem removing the lens either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts