Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a safe way to remove the chrome panels? I can pry them with a screw driver, I tryed on the driver side and heard the plastic things sounded like they were breaking.

Tell me your technique or if im doing something wrong, havnt removed any yet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good question--I've been wondering the same thing. My brother has taken at least one off and installed a new when our '93 was rear ended, but I'm still not sure of how the clips underneath work.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking with toomanytoyz about this when I picked up my FW. Maybe he'll chime in on this as he's done it before.

IIRC it involved removing the door panel to help remove the clips from inside. And being VERY careful not to break the clips when removing them. I could be wrong though so don't quote me. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you are talking about the one on the bottom, you have to push in and then push up adn the top will come out first, but make sure there is not a screw at the bottom of the panel, hope this help you

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by caplt4:
if you are talking about the one on the bottom, you have to push in and then push up adn the top will come out first, but make sure there is not a screw at the bottom of the panel, hope this help you
Ah, that's it! Particularly with how the clips look.

There are screws on the underside of the large rearmost ones, but not sure about the others.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The doors are screwed in at each end and then just push up, the rear panels will basicly fall off, just push up sometimes one of the clips gets stuck.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, an FYI. Someone took one off my car last year (passenger rear quarter trim panel). Went to wrecker, no luck. Went to GM dealer... "Great news, the warehouse has 4 of 'em.... bad news is they are $840." After I got up off the floor I went and called insurance company. 2 days later I had my new panel on for a total sum of $908 incl taxes and install labour.
They are worth their weight in gold!!!!! Keep them or at least sell them to someone who need them.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by dm95dcm:
Hey guys, an FYI. Someone took one off my car last year (passenger rear quarter trim panel). Went to wrecker, no luck. Went to GM dealer... "Great news, the warehouse has 4 of 'em.... bad news is they are $840." After I got up off the floor I went and called insurance company. 2 days later I had my new panel on for a total sum of $908 incl taxes and install labour.
They are worth their weight in gold!!!!! Keep them or at least sell them to someone who need them.
Yep, a very well known fact. Pricey used, and astronomically high new. When our '93 was rear ended, it needed a new back bumper and one side chrome panel back there, and both the people at fault and the insurance company were :eek: when they saw how much the pieces cost. Thankfully there were a few small quantities left that we could even get them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts