Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I installed a Z-28 cluster a long time ago, and it took me a while to find out about the resistor removal to get the oil pressure gage to work. I know it's behind the glove box door, but it appears I also have to remove a panel that's behind the door. I believe it's only held in place with clips, but I don't want to break anything. Anyone have a tip for removing this?

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Hi,

I installed a Z-28 cluster a long time ago, and it took me a while to find out about the resistor removal to get the oil pressure gage to work. I know it's behind the glove box door, but it appears I also have to remove a panel that's behind the door. I believe it's only held in place with clips, but I don't want to break anything. Anyone have a tip for removing this?
I did this about 10 years ago on a write-up that HuSSker did, and it's a resistor wrapped in black electrical tape that is in the area behind the glove box. There's n other panel that I recall in that area. Once you remove the box, you should see a conductor that's got black electrical tape around it, and typical resistor is soldered in series.

That's all, just remove the box, and look at the wiring in the area.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the box, and the trim panel I was talking about. I don't see a harness. There is a harness in there but there's no access to it without taking most of the dash apart. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which has been known to happen

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I figured it out.

The harness is in between a dashboard bar and the dash itself. The photos I found (thank you) show that harness pulled down to get access to it. I did have to remove the trim panel. There are 2 clips holding the harness in place, and they're behind the panel. A little squeeze and they pushed through. Then I was able to pull down the harness. Removed the electrical tape and found 2 wires wrapped separately. Who invented this stuff? ugh!

There's a tan wire in the harness. One end of the 68 ohm resistor is tapped into this wire. The other end is connected to a black/white stripe wire (ground, according to my manual). I cut the resistor off the black wire and viola, I have a real oil pressure gauge! I cut the resistor completely out, and taped over the bare part of the tan wire. I then taped the entire harness replacing what I had cut off. I used blue electrical tape. Why blue? First, because I can. And second, 25 years from now someone is going to be restoring this car, pull out that harness, look at the blue tape and say who the f* would do this? Somewhere I will be giggling.

Once again the forum teaches me something. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts