Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is that legal? Or do you care (track only)? I've heard of folks getting snagged for not having the air pump on there. I also know some folks get around it by 'rebuilding' the air pump, using a grinder to whittle the impeller down to a nub. It's still on there, but it doesn't move any air. What's the real purpose of those things, anyway? Add more oxygen to the exhaust to improve catalytic action? Why don't newer cars have them (at least not the Jap cars I've been around)?

I've heard scary things about hefty fines and such for removing/disabling emissions stuff, even though the OEM emissions equipment that came with the car was a bad idea (at best) or actually counterproductive (at worst). I want a well-performing vehicle that also does not pollute a lot, and I know engine management and emissions control has come a LONG way in the past ten years. If you could remove all the worthless junk, and install stuff that actually does work, would you be okay as long as you passed the sniffer? But here we don't have the sniffer (yet), they just look to see if all the right bits are there.

c.

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you actully need the smog pump? or i can run the car w/o it. I was thinkin of replacing it w/ an aircommander or a york belt drivin compressor to fill my air tanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the story for thr LT1/L99 cars with there air pump deal. The cats can burn up w/0 the air pump, but if you get the EM reprogramed so it runs alittle richer at start up you are fine. If you can get your cars emmisons testing at a shop who does not really care what you have deleted it is fine. It all depends on where you live. Like in CA (Wagon boy) you will prob not pass if the shop sees your airpump missing. Unless you go somewhere wherethey really do not care.

That ugly airpump also has all those funky lines that are all over the right side of the engine compartment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not too worried about not having the pump on the car, my '87 Grand National has been without a converter since '96, because the pump is starting to make noise and I just don't want to fix it. I have a link on how to remove it but it doesn't say what donor car the belt came from. It does tell me the length, but the clowns at the parts store will be lost without an application to look up in the computer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Vandal835:
This is the story for thr LT1/L99 cars with there air pump deal. The cats can burn up w/0 the air pump, but if you get the EM reprogramed so it runs alittle richer at start up you are fine. If you can get your cars emmisons testing at a shop who does not really care what you have deleted it is fine. It all depends on where you live. Like in CA (Wagon boy) you will prob not pass if the shop sees your airpump missing. Unless you go somewhere wherethey really do not care.

That ugly airpump also has all those funky lines that are all over the right side of the engine compartment.
The airpump is electric, so no belt.You xcan legally remove the airpump but it needs to be removed from the pcm.Their was a guy selling tsb stickers for a dollar.Try looking that up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This guy has a TBI Engine. Not a LT1/L99 engine.

The TBI engines have belt driven air pumps under the A/C compressor.

GM does make a Airpump delete pully for TBI cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Vandal. No, this in not an LT-1 car, only a TBI. In the link I have it shows how to remove the pump and the new routing of the belt, no need for additional parts. I just don't know which belt. I thought it was a pretty common mod but I guess I was wrong. Going to e-mail the guy who posted the pics about the swap to get the correct belt so I'll post the correct belt when I find out what it is. Thanks, Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For some discussion re the TBI Bcars see

http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=003313#000002

and for related reading on airpump delete (on 3rd gen Fcars) see:

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/serpentine.shtml

Note that the 3rd gen Fcar AIR pump delete uses a belt of a different length than the one needed for the Bcar, at least according to Blake Werner. The instructions for Blake's AIR delete on his 93 TBI Caprice LTZ are found at the URL below. HTH.

http://www.flaming-martini.net/thelazydestroyer/airpump.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got the wrong answers. I took the smog pump off of my 1991 when I put the Vortec engine in. Go back to 1991 and look at a 1991 full size Blazer with the same 305 and it has the same converter with no airpump. If it works with the Blazer than it should work with the wagon right! You need a longer belt and you have to route it differently. I couldn't find the belt size I used but I can e-mail you a picture of the routing and I think the belt I used is just an inch longer. E-Mail me at [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me add some more "wrong answers" to the mix.

The following info is from series of posts to one of the digests from Sept 2000, from Alex Melero and Dave MacDonald. Note the useful GM part numbers.
=============================================================

Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 17:49:09 EDT
Subject: AIR pump removal

<< Anyone else with an L05 remove the air pump and anyone have the part # of the
shorter belt to use? >>

I removed the AIR pump from my car and used a shorter belt but I recently changed over to a new system.

First I got the export underhood sticker that reads "NON-CATALYST" (gm part#10165243 ) and then I ordered the export AIR pulley assembly (gm part#10186167) for 91-93 Caprices from Dal. He was the only one that could get it for me as all the local dealers told me that it was for export only. DUH!!

Sounded like BS to me but they wouldn't order it. Cost was $36.70 for the pulley. Then I pulled out the AIR valve and installed brass plugs from Pep Boys where the AIR pipes went into the manifold. If I could only find an export manifold, it would all look stock. <g> Now I can
use an original belt and I don't have to reroute everything in some funky way. ..... HTH.

Alex Melero
--------------

Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 14:27:48 -0000
Subject: Re: AIR pump removal

<< If I could only find an export manifold, it would all look stock. Alex Melero >>

If you look for a manifold from an early to mid 80's midsize GM (Monte,Regal,GrandPrix,Cutlass) or non TPI Camaro, most of them do not have an air injection system and are the same as the L03/L05. I've used them on many S-15 V8 conversions.

Dave MacDonald
Ontario,Canada
93 9C1/SS
66 Impala SS
============================================

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What i´ve done is: removed the air pump, installed BTW March underdrive pulleys, re-routed the 910k6 (which i had to use because of the pulleys) belt as described in the Blake Werner link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.