Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you motorheads out there have a good tip for removing window tint? The rear tint on my 96 SS is bubbling and looks like you know what!! Tried to remove it with a razor blade but that was a pain in the butt and don't want to cut the defrost lines. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
park it in a hot space and turn the heat on full blast with the defroster on and then let it sit for a few minutes, cut a black plastic trash bag to fit over the outside of the back glass and spray it with diluted ammonia, let it sit for a few minutes and it should come off rather easy, ive never done this but its in a few tint removal vids on youtube, haven't watched one in a while so forgive if my steps were a bit off

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I've been able to just peel the actual tint off. It doesnt come off all in one sheet, but slowly it all comes off. Then i just use simple green and a plastic texture dish scrubber to get the glue off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
oh oh meme

hey i have something that works peel off entire tint and the glue will come out with that interior cleaner is in a yellow and red can had a brain fart when posting this and forgot the name of it,the scrubber might damage the defroster lines.hope this helps

i got it tuff stuff it works

·
Registered
925 Posts
I can tell you I went through this a few months ago. The rear of my car actually had 2 layers of tint which made it even more difficult. I tried several things but nothing really worked well:

Heat lamp
Heat lamp w/black bag
Amonia w/heat
Heat gun
Razor blades
Acetone

I was able to get it removed off 3 of the door windows but the back window and the rear drivers side window would not budge. I finally broke down and called a local tinting place that did a car for me a couple years ago. The magic word word is "Steamer". Go rent yourself a wall paper steamer and you will never look back. It allowed me to peal everything and the glue stays on the tint and not on the window. If I knew that from the start it would have taken me 2 hours instead of 2 days and I am not exagerating.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Walmart sells a decent steamer that will work too. pretty cheap

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
windex and a garbage bag will do the samething on a hot day

Cool idea on the steamer!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I've been able to just peel the actual tint off. It doesnt come off all in one sheet, but slowly it all comes off. Then i just use simple green and a plastic texture dish scrubber to get the glue off.

Same here but I use fine steel wool and it didnt damage my defrost lines or score up my windows.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I went to Wal Mart today and bought the $25 steamer. They have a $25 and a $49 steamer. I came home and immediately went to work. The drivers window had 3 layers of tint. It took me about 30 minutes to remove all three layers. Almost no glue residue was left. I would definitely go with the steamer. I would recommend placing a towel over the door panel to capture the moisture. I used masking tape and taped the towel right below the window.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Did you just use the steamer straight up on the tint and peeled off?
Yup. I rolled the window partly down and took the steamer to the corner for a few seconds. It'll wrinkle up and you can start to pull it off. Watch out cause steam is HOT!
I also kept a towel to catch and wipe up the water.

·
Registered
582 Posts
going to get a steamer from Wally world later today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts