Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiring harness that is run behind the passenger side exhaust manifold partially melted on my header a few days ago. Im not sure on the condition of the wires but the splittube shielding looks warped and burned (i also had heat tape around the shielding)

I was going to inspect it this weekend and replace any burned sections of wire, is solder OK to use on those particular wires or will that create too much resistance? Should I just use butt connectors? I don't have an FSM so im not sure where all of them go or what they do :D

Also, this is kind of wired, but my check engine lite was coming on after driving the car for awhile and thats how i noticed the harness was burning on the header. I zip tied it away and the lite doesnt come on anymore, how the hell did it know???? :cool:

o ya, 96 SS

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a lot of these cars in the bone yard now. Find one, and unplug the harness, and replace it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quality soldering and good heat-shrink is the prefered method short of replacing; environmental splices are also an option.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What gage are these wires? This happened to me and I cannot find a donor wire harness to fix them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts