Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to NTB today to get tires for "the cruiser", the tech told me to wait on an alignment becuase I need a new idler arm, center link, and my tie rods should probably be changed as well.
well I dont know all that much about cars to begin with, so seeing that I'm no grease monkey, I have some questions...becuase really I don t know jack about the steering or suspension and crap so....
1)what the hell is an idler arm, whats it do...also, I hear some buzz on the Moog idler arm, how much and is it worth it?

2)how much should all that stuff run me? any clue?

thanks guys
-rock-
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the Forum, Dan. The first thing I would suggest, is for you to respect your Suspension/Front End & Braking Systems. They safely get you where you are going & back. Many hours of engineering have gone into them. Respect leads to easier learning. That said, if I was a novice about car mechanical issues and,"really wanted to learn", I'd get down to the local library & read about the basic operation of the different systems, all automobiles have. I'd also look to befriend someone who is a patient Gearhead(better then library).Also, keep asking questions on this Forum(w/respect until you are knowledgable...then when sh!t happens, then you can go off>lol< ). Over time you will realize there is a treasure troth of TIME & MONEY SAVING(and AGGRAVATION) information here. NOW lets try some answers :(1)The Idler Arm in your car keeps the end of the Center Link(oposite from Pitman Arm) supported and moving freely. Yes, do put the Moog# K6187T Arm on your car, as the stock arm is crap(yes, 'I' can say that). Part cost me $25 & installed myself. You, part & labor $80-$100.(2) Centerlink-Moog#DS899(IMO--in my opinion "INSIST" on MOOG Parts for front end part replacement) $150-$200. Tie-Rod Ends-Outer(2 reg.)Moog#ES2019RLT..Inner(2 reg.)Moog#ES2020RLT $175-$240. Alignment $50-$90 (be carefull choosing shop for front end alignment,more half-asses than pros out there, ask,ask,ask,ask around). Good Luck to ya. +=+ Larry '96 9C1

P.S. Get opinions & prices from a few shops. Let them know your shoping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Cigar is right-on. Finding out the part you need is only a 1/3 of the total repair bill will get most semi-intelligent people's attention real fast on how to do the work themselves, even if you have to ante up a little for the proper tools. Also, invest in an FSM (factory service manual). In the mean time, you might cheat by starting with free help-aids like this.

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/repair_info/repair_guide/repair_guide.jsp (prayer to link gods)

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you will be replacing so much anyway you may want to consider doing the balljoints as well. I bought AC Delco(improved from original) parts and for the tierod ends(all 4), centerlink, and balljoints(all 4), and a MOOG idlerarm. It is like a new car. I rented a balljoint press from Autozone(cost is only a deposit you get back) and had a ball joint fork(you could rent this too. Be careful when scheduling your alignment most places here wanted $50 plus $12-13 per side if it needed caster or camber adjustment. I figured for that price I would go to the dealer and at least get a ride home instead of sitting in the shop. To my suprize it was $40 at the dealer no mater what needed to be adjusted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Dwayne said. AC Delco is also quality part. But, get that K6187T Idler Arm(this baby is a must have, Heavy Duty part & make sure you get "T" in that part#--signifies enhanced design) in there. You'll notice big improvement in 'control' going over road irregularities at speed. +=+ Larry '96 9C1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the idler I have put one on before I got the SS wheels(knew I would need it) and put another one on before the rest of the parts. Everything with a grease fitting is new, and even added a few of those with the swaybar bushings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.