Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am replacing the items below, would it be wise to go ahead and replace the Compressor as well? Would it be stupid not too? Could I be putting the newer parts Im replacing at risk of damaged/failure by not replacing the Compressor? I know it works but being that my car has 208,000+ could it be nearing its end of life?

Items already purchased for A/C overhaul:

- Condensor/Drier/Evaporator/Compressor Refrigerant Lines

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced guys!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The old compressor will not damage most of the parts, but if it goes, you will be cleaning the whole system and replacing the orifice. You will also be recharging the system. The cost in parts and labor would probably equal the cost of the new compressor. At 208K the compressor could be on its last legs. It is an unknown, and I would suggest being safe rather than sorry.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good feedback..

Thanks for the info FK. Definitely going to hold off and see how quickly I can get a Compressor in. Is there any one compressor in particular that is best for our Car?:confused:

The orifice tube wouldn't be that bad to replace since it inst an inexpensive part(of course when you add Evac/recharge in that final number changes), but when you say 'Will not damage "most" of the parts...' the potential for it to effect multiple systems is enough for me to take all precaution. The system pumped strong for 180k before the condenser was pierced so when I'm done with this AC Overhaul project, I do not want to touch it again for the next 200+ Miles, hopefully.:D:D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think Rock Auto has either a Delphi or AC Delco new ones reasonably priced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts