Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I would like to thank everybody for all the information provided on this site. I don't post much because I don't have too, 99% of the questions I have are answered.

I would like to say my car is running fine, with no problems. This winter it is getting parked so I can put all the parts on it I have gathered up. I will be converting it from mechanical, to e-fans. Putting the RAISS on and CI try y's. My question is: since I'll have it that far tore down, should I do anything with the Opti? the car has a 106k miles, and everything is original as far as i know. At least I want to change the plugs and wires.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If it works fine then don't change it but if your goin to be doing a full tune up might as well since everthing will be out of the car. I would also do a radiator flush prior to changing the opti. So that way no fluid will get onto the opti

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you're replacing the water pump with another mechanical pump, don't forget the water pump drive seal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wouldn't replace the opti, only service it. Get a cap and rotor kit, Delco or Delphi brand only for stock systems. You will also need an E-4 inverted torx driver or socket and a small (less then T-10)set of standard torx drivers to do this. Also, I wouldn't necessarily worry about changing the water pump drive seal. If it's not leaking, leave it be. Mine's got 234,000+ miles on it and doesn't leak a drop. Since you will have it off, replace the water pump with a NEW one. Don't bother with the remanufactured crap. At 106,000 miles, it will probably start to leak soon anyways. Plugs and wires are up to you, I'm running MSD wires (as they were significantly cheaper than the Delco replacements) and NGK plugs. Been happy with them so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will just replace the plugs and wires. Then if the opti or water pumps goes out, I'll replace them both. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts