Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had the day off today and the wife had to work I decided to do a little speaker shopping for the rear of the wagon. I had my mind set on some Infinity Reference 6x9's, REF9612I. I scored an excellent deal on them from hhgregg. $100 out the door, they were way busy and had no one working the car audio department, I acted a little pissed when I went to get someone to help me, so they gave me a good deal.

Anyway got them home and installed them, hoping for a big differance over the stock units. Well, little to no noticable difference. I double checked my connections for polarity and they were good. Any suggestions? I am using the stock head unit. Do I need an amp?

Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You need an amp! Even a small say 50x50 will make them sound much better.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going with larger speaker wire over stock will help.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't change the speaker wire for those speakers. For a more radical setup, I would consider it, but MB Quarts and other higher end speakers are installed all the time with the stock wires on the car.

I would add any sort of amp on them. I've seen a ton of stock radios, with stock speakers with an amp of them, and they sound much better over stock.

And the polarity on the speakers doesn't have to be "correct." You can actually switch it up and see if you like the sound that is produced with it flipped better.

If you are set on using the stock head unit, then definitely try a little amp. If not, you could get a head unit (I like Alpines), and power it off of that. But that still might not be enough for the upgraded speakers.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larger speaker wires will help SQ and raise the volume level before distortion kicks in.
Especially with a stock head unit.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amp, but use the 6X9's for bass only. Keep the imaging forward!
When you listen to your stereo at your house, do you turn around with your back to it to enjoy it?
I don't bother too much with rear speakers unless they are subs /bass.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok folks, go back and read the first post... he is talking about the back speakers in a wagon not a sedan. If you add more power, bigger speaker wire, etc., it will just sound like louder sh*t.

The problem with the wagon rear speakers is the enclosure (lack of one). The speakers do not seal tightly against the grilles and have nothing to keep the back wave from cancelling the front wave. The rest of the "enclosure" is flimsy plastic. There are several ways to address this from building custom boxes that enclose the speakers (best but difficult to do well) to using foam to seal up the speakers, either as foam weatherstripping to better seal the speaker to the grille (less effective but quick and easy) or as using large packing foam around the backs of the speakers to create a quasi-enclosure (supposedly works well).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by RMC:
Ok folks, go back and read the first post... he is talking about the back speakers in a wagon not a sedan. If you add more power, bigger speaker wire, etc., it will just sound like louder sh*t.

The problem with the wagon rear speakers is the enclosure (lack of one). The speakers do not seal tightly against the grilles and have nothing to keep the back wave from cancelling the front wave. The rest of the "enclosure" is flimsy plastic. There are several ways to address this from building custom boxes that enclose the speakers (best but difficult to do well) to using foam to seal up the speakers, either as foam weatherstripping to better seal the speaker to the grille (less effective but quick and easy) or as using large packing foam around the backs of the speakers to create a quasi-enclosure (supposedly works well).
x2.

This in in a wagon. They need enclsures for the 6x9's to sound good and have any bass. I've tried 2 different sets in my car and they sound just as crappy as the stockers. I need to build an enclosure, but haven't had the time yet....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I will try to do something for an enclosure. I did use the packing foam method and it helped a bit. Still not the bass I would like. I know it is if I rest my head aginst the speaker grill while it is playing I can't see straight so I know the speaker is hitting, just not moving the sound.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, do that, then amp 'em.

Didn't catch the wagon part, twas a little hung over yesterday.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just picked up a complete gm am/fm casette with a slave cd player from a 1997 chevy venture van at the local pull it yourself for $30.00.
i installed the radio in the dash of my 92 caprice wagon in about 10 minutes. i have changed radios so much recently i can do it almost blindfolded.

i removed the factory cupholder and installed the slave cd unit in it's place. i now have am/fm cassette with cd player and have also hooked up a xm sattelite radio with fm modulator to factory radio. now have all formats for road trips. if anyone interested in the install i'll try to post pics.

ps also installed blazer console with bucket seats. i used two passenger 40% seats car is a lot more comfortable now and i have cupholders that will hold even the largest drinks without constantly having to reach and hold onto to prevent spillage like the flimsy dash mounted cup holder total coast for all upgrades less than $100.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts