Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got it. I frikin got it thanks to scan9495.

Coolant temperature sensor pigtail wires are bad. And it's not like I wiggled the thing a little to make it work, I had to really go around and around with them.

The car was going into open loop, as you guys are proficient in, and it would flood. Hence the issues I was having before and even last night when I started messing with the thing again. I had to flood clear it by holding it WFO, at which point it started right up.

Today I decided to take time and just drive it until it acted up. Stay close to home and just keep driving no matter what. Sure enough, I felt it go into the high idle mode at a stop and upon letting off the brakes and getting onto the gas carefully, I was able to get home and leave it running to get my laptop.

I plug it in, look at the data for the PCM, and apparently -12F degree coolant was flowing in my car. At that point I knew it was the coolant temp pigtail or the sensor itself. Jiggled it a good bit and the idle settled down and went back to running right.

I am glad.

My bad laptop battery made this a hard fix because I can't catalog when I drive. Anyway, it's fixed now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the coolant Temp sensor in the WP if open and it usually does because of it being miss handled the open circuit will trick out the PCM to indicate -40F ..wiring or a dropped sensor ..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
the coolant Temp sensor in the WP if open and it usually does because of it being miss handled the open circuit will trick out the PCM to indicate -40F ..wiring or a dropped sensor ..
I figure it's the pigtail.

Like several others, the wires have been tight and pulled on most of their life. That's a sure fire way to ruin connectors and their wires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

61 - 63 of 63 Posts