Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1996 RMW, 1992 OCC
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 4 late-model B-body wagons in my driveway. Of those, 3 of them have messed up front door window seals, where it looks like the windows distorted the outside rubber channel and folded it inward on closing. This creates horrendous wind noise right by my head on the highway. They're all unfixable at this point. I'd love to replace them and ensure they retain their shape properly this time.

Is this part still produced by GM? Does anyone know the part number?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here's the parts diagram. Unavailable parts, including your seals, are listed at the bottom.
Not sure which part you mean--the big rubber seal around the door? That is available aftermarket. Or do you mean the window channel the glass rides in. That'll probably be tougher to find/create.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not the door, the window itself. The seal that the window closes into:

Looks like part 001 in that diagram, which is in fact no longer available. I found the aftermarket door seals readily, but the window seals appear to be very elusive, which is frustrating.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're cut real bad on the inside. On at least one of them, the lip is gone altogether. And it looks like part numbers might be different from 91-93 and 94-96, likely due to different plastic trim on the inside

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't even notice any of them until now. I thought the wind noise in my 93 RMW was "normal", even though it always seemed excessive. The 92 OCC was always noisy because of the gaping hole in the floor. But when I bought the 96 RMW last week, the first thing I noticed was how incredibly quiet the interior was by comparison... with the exception of this one spot riiiiiight here:

It's super blatant by virtue of being very specific in location and really close to my head.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huh, looks like I was wrong. It's the same part number for all years. I just checked my 92 Caprice parts wagon and it's in the same shape. I don't have a single good driver-side one to spare between 4 wagons... what bizarre coincidence.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
The only ones that are different are the RMS with the chrome strip along the rear of the glass. I have a set of those with the chrome strip. The other issue is that the part shrinks, and the front of it at the sill shrinks and exposes a gap. If you have an old one, you might be able to splice a piece in to fill the gap. I check them when I go to the junk yards, but I have not been there nearly as much lately, because there are not many B or D bodies there. If you want one that has the front corner gap, I may be able to find one.

·
Registered
531 Posts
On the plus side, the FSM p10-6-32 shows it's easy to remove, esp. if you're just splicing a piece in.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up buying a standard good used one from Fred Kiehl. I received it today and installed it right away. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Everything is whisper quiet now

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
That was one I pulled years ago, and I did not plan to part with it. Did you notice that the front extends to/below the sill? Most have a 1/4 inch or more gap.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah, the ones on 3 of my wagons are about 1/4" short at the front, including the one I just replaced. This one goes right down into the door, it's beautiful 😁

I find it really ironic that I own all these wagons, and between them all, I couldn't find a single good used window seal... considering what a huge difference it makes in ride quality, you'd think this is one area where GM could've not skimped

1 - 14 of 14 Posts