Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew my head gasket a while back, so I figured the heater core could be contaminated, in addition to being old. Also, I'm putting in a new radiator and hoses. I'm also changing from DexCool to BeCool coolant.

So I figured, why not just put in a new heater core and have a really clean system...

So I pulled my heater core to put in a new one. When I put them side by side, the cheap construction of the new one was obvious.

The new one was the best I could find at RockAuto. The new one didn't even have the support that connects the two outlets. (I moved that from the old one to the new one in the pictures)

It also didn't have the 3 straps that are holding in the sides on the OEM.

Also, the new one doesn't have the raised stops on the tubes to hold it in place against the firewall.

I'm actually thinking of taking my old one to a radiator shop to be reconditioned. If I go this route, what should I ask them to do?

Or does anyone know where I can get a GOOD new one?

I've searched the forum and not really found an answer to this one...

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1421760124.440033.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1421760202.377949.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1421760234.639284.jpg

Thoughts?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Prestone makes a good flush kit. I would try that and let it soak over night then flush in both directions many times. If you think you can pull the tanks off the side without destroying them the would be an even better flush.
If you take it to a radiator shop just ask them to flush it as they would a normal radiator. Because at the end of the day that's all a heater core is. hth

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same thing

I think I have the same core on my bench now from Rockauto. The Spectra Premium.
Just haven't installed it yet. How did you like rotating the tubes to match orientation?
Doesn't give me warm feeling.
I do see an Ac Delco on Rockauto now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the same core on my bench now from Rockauto. The Spectra Premium.

Just haven't installed it yet. How did you like rotating the tubes to match orientation?

Doesn't give me warm feeling.

I do see an Ac Delco on Rockauto now.

The one I bought from RockAuto WAS an AC Delco. BS...

I think I'll return it.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a 92 Caprice heater core in an impala?

There are a few around, much better quality. I realize there must be SOME difference, but it looks real close...

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422053660.611405.jpg

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a 92 Caprice heater core in an impala?

There are a few around, much better quality. I realize there must be SOME difference, but it looks real close...

Thanks

View attachment 107721
did you ever try it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts