Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a replacement power antenna mast, that will work in the OE motor? Used to be able to find power antenna assemblies in the junk yards all day long, but not the case anymore. Would like to stick with the OEM system.... as opposed to aftermarket. Used to be able to buy mast only, to thread in. Anyone know where they can still be sourced?

Or does anyone know where I can get a good used OEM complete power antenna?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a replacement power antenna mast, that will work in the OE motor? Used to be able to find power antenna assemblies in the junk yards all day long, but not the case anymore. Would like to stick with the OEM system.... as opposed to aftermarket. Used to be able to buy mast only, to thread in. Anyone know where they can still be sourced?

Or does anyone know where I can get a good used OEM complete power antenna?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whatever you do, don't throw way your OEM power antenna. Like you said earlier, junk yards may not have them any more. 95% of the time, they can be fixed. My antenna died about a decade ago and I found a person who fixes power antennas. I can't remember the name of the person but he was able to fix mine for a nominal fee. My problem was a broken steel cable inside the antenna mast assembly (the black round plastic spool looking cover).

Of course, it could be your DC motor has fried or the plastic gears inside are broken. If you can't find someone to fix it, you might find yourself a free afternoon and try fixing it yourself. There are some cheap metal clips that may break around the antenna wind-up cable assembly that can be removed with a screwdriver. If they break, you can take some long screws and nuts through the perimeter (and center?) of the antenna wind-up cable assembly to reassemble. Once you take that apart, you can see what is going on inside. If the steel cable is broken you may be able to remove the broken piece of cable and reattach it to the gear spool. The antenna mast may not go up as high as it used to but it should work.

Clean out the old grease and install some good clean axle grease or Magnalube. Don't go crazy with the lube and fill the cavity to the top. Just enough grease to keep everything moving. While it is open, there some metal bushings/electrical contacts, relays that tell the motor to extend or retract the antenna that probably need to be cleaned. No grease is needed there.

I would also test the motor with 12 volts before reinstalling the antenna. This is all from memory, but I think the center pin of the plug is ground and one of the outer two pins is +12v to extend and -12v to retract (reverse the polarity). I think some Hanes schematics or power antenna schematics will tell you what pin is what. Or you could just install the wiring harness to the plug and turn on and off your radio to see if it moves correctly and consistently. If the motor is bad you may be able to take an aftermarket power antenna's motor and install it on your OEM antenna. Good luck.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My antenna died about a decade ago and I found a person who fixes power antennas. I can't remember the name of the person but he was able to fix mine for a nominal fee
Well now isn’t that a tease! 😀

My problem is just a bent mast. It still goes up and down but because of the bends, it binds so doesn’t go all the way in either direction.

Any way you can try to dig up that power antenna repair person? Sounds like exactly what I need. Or, if I could source a new mast, I can fix it myself!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please check p/n 96223385
Looks like an aftermarket power antenna, correct? I’ve used one on my 95 RMW. Hoping to keep this one OEM because of quality and electrical connection.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
None of the aftermarket ones are "the same as stock". They stick above the fender and do not retract into a well. I have a good mast that I would like $50 plus shipping.for. I used to repair them, but the masts are no longer available anywhere, except occasionally from a junk yard. The cable is nylon.

You must be able to remove the top section of the mast with the finial on it. The finial unscrews. If you can not remove the top section, you also need the cable. The cables are still available from antennasareus, but they are not as good as the original ones, and tend to break in about 6 months. You are also looking at a lot more work, because you have to split the motor case, and put it back together with bolts and nuts.

Test them by using the green and gray wires, and reversing the voltage on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all. This past summer I had a Chevy dealer in central Illinois install an aftermarket eBay antenna on my 94. The guy who installed the antenna loved the car, said his mom was still driving her 1995 BBB around daily, so he was super into working on the car. He actually ended up hooking me up with a few smalls around the engine bay. I did keep my OEM antenna, but the mast was cracked off and it never powered up for me, not that I looked super into it though.

Few issues i've had with the aftermarket -
My aftermarket antenna does not seat properly, at high speeds the antenna leans back at nearly a 70* angle. There are no mounting points for the body of the aftermarket antenna, so it sits loose, but tight just from the rubber housing.
He had to splice the aftermarket power lines into the cars power lines, so the antenna does go up when the radio is on, and down when it is off. The antenna ends are both now males. I cant find an adapter, so I don't get any radio.

Has anyone come across these issues? Sorry, not trying to thread jack you, but I feel this might help out a little bit(?).

-OhGee

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know of a service that can repair antennas on our cars, to work like OEM?

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
There used to be one, but the cost was over $200 per repair. I do not know if they still repair them, because the masts are no longer available. I know, I bought the last new 3 ones.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts