Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaking seals on my ‘94 Roadmaster wagon‘s rear shocks are causing the air compressor to continuously cycle so I must do something about that. I have no complaints about the stock ride so I would happily replace the stock shocks with same, except that the original Delcos are very, very costly. Any suggestions on replacements/alternatives/other?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Consider deleting the air shocks, add a pair of AirLift 1000's and real shocks that will do a much better job of giving you whatever ride/handling mix you want. Cheaper and better. Pull the fuse to turn off the compressor.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I had those when I bought my car. Dump them, install Bilstein. (y)

Reactions: scot

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
+1 on both above. Airshocks have very poor dampening performance quality. Unless substantially improved design from decades back they aren't even gas charged, - and reliance on just the bags for the majority of dampening. Search an old thread by 95 Wagon on here for modding the compressor to operate with the Airlift 1000 bladders to maintain auto level. If you must.

Full disclosure requires informing that as with any set of 'deficient dampening quality' auto-leveler shocks (even the expensive oem brand) that any cheap aftermarket set can be used with an 'in series' to 'in parallel' airhose adapter kit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gentle ride 1516-1517 Firmer ride 1104-0929
rebound F1050-R750- rebound F4275-R 2135
Newton Metre that is

·
Registered
275 Posts
Agreed-Bilsteins. I've had the 1516/1517 ones on my FWB for 2 years/20,000 miles and am very, very happy with them. I don't know what the firmer 1104/0929 ones feel like--maybe somebody can chime in on that.

I loved the ELC leveling aspect. The shocks, not so much, but I never found a good perf-oriented airshock.

If you DO stay with the airshocks, I didn't like regular Monroe ones--they felt harsh, but maybe that was just in my head.
For the Delco ones, maybe you didn't see the cheaper second choice on Rock Auto:
ACD 504110 {#19178430} $127.79/pr
504516 {#88946603} $77.89
I don't know if there's any real difference.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
1104-0929 on both my black one and on my prior '95 FWB. The former has oem coils and F-body/HO bars, and the latter also had all oem SS coils but with SS front and double SS rear bars.

SS drives with no sense of humor and the wife has mentioned she loves tooling around for a few hours but would not want to do roadtrips. The FWB was surprisingly comfortable, probably more from less harsh bars, taller sidewall tires, heavier wt and longer w.b.

A wish for less corner carver with my current FWB gives the current setup in my sig, and the ONLY thing I might try is replacing the current shocks with the gentle Bilsteins. The Monroes have great road feel, and are quite satisfactory (especially for the price), but they show less than desired absorbsion to bumps and other road blemishes. Someone (whose name starts with 'S' on here) warned the valving on those Severe Service may not match the rest of my setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts