Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Quite sure the stock reservoir is mounted up high for a reason. I'll let the experts explain why.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite sure the stock reservoir is mounted up high for a reason. I'll let the experts explain why.
I believe it needs to be higher than the highest coolant passage in the motor. Correct me if I am wrong. I am just looking for a smaller reservoir that I can relocate. It get right in the way of the dual Alt set-up I am building.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I believe it needs to be higher than the highest coolant passage in the motor. Correct me if I am wrong. I am just looking for a smaller reservoir that I can relocate. It get right in the way of the dual Alt set-up I am building.
Dual alternators? Do you realize you can get one good one up to 400 amps? If you want the weight, complexity, cost, and problems of 2, go ahead.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2 mechman Ad244's that have 350a output and 160a at idle. I am a car audio freak and need alot more power. Spliting up the power on 2 puts less stress on them and they will stay cooler and last longer. And done right there is no problems.

·
Registered
976 Posts
yes it can be done, he said he had to hold them up to bleed the air out then everything worked fine

·
Registered
28 Posts
The one problem you might come across is that your low coolant light will illuminate on your dash since the factory one has a sensor. I just replaced my coolant reservoir with a new stock one after I continued to have overheating issues even after replacing the cap, then thermostat and the waterpump. But you can always unplug the bulb in the dash if you have a stock dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts