Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I already replaced the intake gasket on my caprice once... but I don't feel good about it because I can see coolant seeping out from around the bolts and where the intake meets the heads a little, so I'm sure I still have a vacuum leak...

So... I'm going to be redoing it, and using some RTV this time unlike last time. My question for you guys is, what's the best way to drain the coolant out of the top of the engine? I just changed my oil so I dont want to do it again because of coolant contamination. Should I just pull the lowest hose out of the water pump?

Let me know what you guys have done in the past that worked.

Oh, and what kind of RTV should I use? I have this red stuff that holds up to temps of 1000 degrees.. but it doesnt say sensor safe on it anywhere.. should I worry about that? or does it not really matter on the intake?

LMK, thanks

Daren

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey guys, I already replaced the intake gasket on my caprice once... but I don't feel good about it because I can see coolant seeping out from around the bolts and where the intake meets the heads a little, so I'm sure I still have a vacuum leak...

So... I'm going to be redoing it, and using some RTV this time unlike last time. My question for you guys is, what's the best way to drain the coolant out of the top of the engine? I just changed my oil so I dont want to do it again because of coolant contamination. Should I just pull the lowest hose out of the water pump?

Let me know what you guys have done in the past that worked.

Oh, and what kind of RTV should I use? I have this red stuff that holds up to temps of 1000 degrees.. but it doesnt say sensor safe on it anywhere.. should I worry about that? or does it not really matter on the intake?

LMK, thanks

Daren
I'd undo the lower radiator hose, and drain it until the level is a few inches below the intake at the lowest point, watching down the radiator. I would only use a sensor-safe RTV, like Permatex's The Right Stuff, or Ultra Black/Copper on parts that seal the crankcase. I had to do this on my 92 LO5 9C1 right after I got it, and it never had an issue with leaking again, but ill admit, even after draining all the coolant, some still came out of the intake and went into the engine when I pulled it loose, so I went ahead and changed the oil right after doing it. Be sure to check the bolts for proper torque after a few heat cycles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts