Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 base model rear end blew a rear axle seal and cooked my rear end. I found a 96 brogham rear end with 36,000 on it. Other than the axle ratio being different is there anything else I have to do . how can I sync the speedometer Any help will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Assuming the newer axle housing is equipped with ABS, which makes it the same 8.5" and correct as a replacement, the replacement unit is a straight swap.

The 93 speedo correction is handled by changing a gear on the trans tailshaft which control the VSS output--you will need to consult a dealer for parts info or a speedometer shop, but a better solution may be here.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Wasn't the speedo in the 93's and older via a gear in the transmission? Can't remember but if that's the case you'll have to replace that gear...or just mount a GPS in your dash and use that.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
The 93 has a 4L60 with the mechanical VSS (as per the FSM). You can check the gearing ratio at: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/. Go about half way down the page to "speedometer world" and click on the link. There are some charts, and formulas to determiine the correct gear size for the driven gear. I posted a list of the gear ratios and corresponding gear size, although they varie with tire size as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
electronic ratio adapter

Called Speedometer World and they said I needed a electronic ratio adapter for $169.00. I thought a $8.00 gear would do the trick - ripoff? I could buy a Gps and just use it for a Redneck Speedo. What do you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know my gps is off by about 8 mph....not the best solution but its gotta be alot better than nothing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
You should only need the gear. I think speedworld gave you wrong information. The rear is all you are changing, not the transmission. I believe they misunderstood your request. What ratio is the "new" rear?

What size gear did the formula work out to? I may be able to get you a gear as per the formula.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gear

Fred thanks for the help. I couldn't find the formula that you posted. I'm changing to a 2:93 from a 2:56. Mine is a base model and the rear came out of a Brougham with the optional ratio. Thanks for saying I only need a gear the man at speedometer world said my trans is still electronic just not controled by the Ecm! WHAT????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts