Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

I've read many post in the search category. I haven't really found the answer to my question. If I have maybe I overlooked it.

Question is, I like my stock Hight in the back with my stock 17s which I love. May go to 18oz's but nothing bigger. I want to drop the front maybe an inch or so. What spring and shocks do you guys recommend and pics if you have them. I definitely don't want a 2 in drop. That's to low for the streets of Philly/bmore.

The car is a cruiser. I don't race nor is it a daily driver.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
don't do it...

Don't. If you want a stiffer shock, these 2 ton honeys need a heavy one, but if it's a cruiser, the why? Replacing the stock suspension was the worst decision I've made...ok no, Uncoated hooker headers was the worst, but 2nd was lowering it. The front end geometry sucks now and the car rides like garbage. You need the height for cruising. It's a lot of time and effort for no gain except for appearance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't. If you want a stiffer shock, these 2 ton honeys need a heavy one, but if it's a cruiser, the why? Replacing the stock suspension was the worst decision I've made...ok no, Uncoated hooker headers was the worst, but 2nd was lowering it. The front end geometry sucks now and the car rides like garbage. You need the height for cruising. It's a lot of time and effort for no gain except for appearance.
Ok maybe I should explain. I Need shocks on the front. I need stiffer shocks/spring in the rear. With my system in trunk and kids/stroller in the back, the back sags sometime. But I dint want to lower the rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OH ok, then the best thing to do would be to replace the shocks with a KYB or even stiffer Bilstein. I have Bilsteins and they're a good stiff shock. I have the yellow and not the sport ones. The shocks won't be cheap, but I blew out Monroes and KYBs on a lowered car up front, so city driving + heavy car = buy good shocks.

As for the sagging rear, go to summit and order the rear air bag kit for $60. Lets you add some extra height in the back without spending $300 on springs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think you should still get some used 9c1 springs even with the airlift 1000s. With the system and a full tank of gas it takes more than the rated 30psi to get the rear level with the front. 9c1 springs are the same length as the others, but they're stiffer, so the car will sit higher b/c they won't compress as much under the car's weight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what exact shocks do you guys recommend? part #'s
Can 400$ shocks and springs all the way around do it?
i just bought a dam 400$ AMP. IDK what i was thinking with the need/want for shocks and springs... priorities f'd up i guess..

·
Registered
806 Posts
so what exact shocks do you guys recommend? part #'s
Can 400$ shocks and springs all the way around do it?
i just bought a dam 400$ AMP. IDK what i was thinking with the need/want for shocks and springs... priorities f'd up i guess..
There's a sticky with part #s, but I have monroe severe service shocks front and back. Handled like a sports car before my airlifts went out on me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Carolina Boy,

Is your car lowered? I had the same shocks and blew em out on the front. Had to replace them in 3 months. Went to bilsteins and haven't looked back. Excellent shock.

If anyone is looking to get Hotchkis, let me know. I'm going back to stock Impala SS springs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carolina Boy,

Is your car lowered? I had the same shocks and blew em out on the front. Had to replace them in 3 months. Went to bilsteins and haven't looked back. Excellent shock.

If anyone is looking to get Hotchkis, let me know. I'm going back to stock Impala SS springs.
Why are you going back to stock? Just wondering?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.