Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several people have recently bought the OEM 94-96 Cruise/Turn Signal Switches off E-Bay and been asking how to replace it?

Here's the process straight from the FSM (Field Service Manual).

Removing Cruise/Turn Signal Switch:

1. Push in "Slightly" on the outside of the rectangular plastic cover, then pull back "Gently" and remove the cover (Pic)

2. Take a small flat head screwdriver and gently press in on the BLUE locking Tab of the wire connector from the handle, then slowly pull up and remove it from the Black column connector.

3. Grasp the cruise lever firmly and Turn it Counter Clockwise.

4. Make sure the lever is in the Off Position on the switch.

5. Then remove the lever by pulling "Straight Out" on it and guiding the wires and connector thru the plastic column shroud.

Installing the new Switch is reverse order of removing.

· Registered
11,648 Posts
I picked up an excellent piece that matches the red of my interior. Pic to follow. I got it from a RMS.

· Registered
576 Posts
Had I not happen across this decent used piece I would've bought one of the new ones in your other post.

WOW! That's a used one!!! That's in GREAT shape! So that's what all those letters is 'supposed' to say, huh??? LOL Mine was just one black stick with just about no writing on it now - I got in on the new one.

· Registered
576 Posts
And thanks B-Body-Builder for posting the 'how to' for this - I'm starting to wonder if I should have got one for each of my SS's now. Much easier install than I thought.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
46 Posts
Replacing Switch

I just want to check on the installation because, I'm applying a lot of pressure and I can't get the lever to turn counter clockwise. I have removed the plastice piece and unplugged the wire plug, but when I'm having a problem with getting the Cruise/turn signal lever to turn.

Any suggestions?

Borcherss

· Registered
615 Posts
:edit: I read the instructions above in the first post. Ive never had to do step #3. Ive always done 1 & 2.. then skipped to step 4 & 5

And are these hard to find? I see these in the same condition as roadhouse's on alot of cars at the junkyard too. I swapped to the caddy lever with the chromish push shaft.

· Premium Member
46 Posts
Cruise/Turn Signal Lever Removal

Thanks a lot for the heads-up. By deleting step 3 (turn lever counterclockwise) the removal went fine. You need to make sure the wiper switch is in the off position and then pull straight out.

Later.

BorcherSS
95 BBB SS Wagon
96 Buick RMW Limited

· Premium Member
721 Posts
Anyone ever do this using a newer "soft touch" smart stick?

· Registered
340 Posts
My right turning signal never works, it works rarely but I was wondering if this could be something electrical not hooked up? I just replaced the springs inside the column and greased the housing and that didn't fix anything.

· Registered
55 Posts
When I turn left the turn signal lever doesn't return by Itself. Do I need the whole unit or can I get individual parts to do the fix?

Thanks!

· Registered
486 Posts
The switch not returning is either the turn signal cam is broken or one of the return springs are broken. Both parts are available new at a GM dealership or your local auto parts store. Very common parts used on many GM vehicles in the past 30 years. - Peter

· Registered
55 Posts
Thanks! I wanted to know if it had anything to do with the cruse/turn signal assy. I guess I'll have to dig into the steering column.

· Registered
15 Posts
Multiple configs for turn signal ?

On my 95 Caprice 9C1, the photos do not depict how the lever/cruise control is connected. The wires from the lever do not plug into that connector right behind that small cap, rather they connect inside the steering wheel housing, necessitating pulling the steering wheel to gain access.

The lever controls the usual: cruise control, turn signals, wipers with delay, and windshield washer. After searching and seeing this thread, I thought I was in for an easy job, pull the lever, disconnect the plug, and done. Not so, I had a major job to pull the steering wheel, with all that entails, and to finally get access to the connector inside the housing where the lever wires plugged in. A real pain. So for all the DIY out there, be aware there may be another more complicated repair than the one depicted here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.