Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not got all the info, but on You Tube some where there is info on how to do this Oldhead

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Far less effort,time,and/or money required to maintain,or even replace the opti. Which can easily last a decade,or longer...

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
In a stock-ish Impala I wouldn't bother.

But if you really wanna go there, the TorqHead kit really is the best way to go.

BUY 24XLINK PRODUCTS - TORQHEAD LTD

KW
That is some $ ...what HP/TQ gain would this system give over the stock PCM that has been tuned for a 383 H/C motor??

Would be interested to know the cost per HP switching

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Hard to imagine spark management alone would make much difference. As present set up seems like it is already fairly effective.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
cost per HP
Well that "age old question" can always be skewed in what ever direction anyone wants !

Is pretty much always the trump card people like to pull if they don't like an idea.

I never had any problems with my optispark but would have been looking at this if I had not done the full LT1 delete.

If for no other reason than to not be RPM limited by the PCM in a serious engine.

Being able to use HP tuners and or EFI live is a good benefit.

Being able to use lean cruise , to me , would be big

Boosted guys, 3 bar map.

For super tuner guys, much more flexibility.

Less apt to "brick" while tuning

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've ran the Bailey LTCC on my LT engines with the LS coils. Cheaper than the Torquehead but not a thorough. I have over 200,000 on the Vette and much more than that on the Impalas. I believe that by removing the source of carbon dust and the high voltage from the Opti that they will last forever........or close to it. I've never had an Opti failure in over 500,000 miles or so of Opti driving. Been through oil leaks, water pump leaks engine washes and all. It's Saint Patty's day so maybe I have the luck o' the Irish.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
the 24x no doubt is a superior engine mgt system over our 25 year old system. My build has to be, and is, Calif. Smog legal so I am limited on cam size and tuning so the stock PCM can be tuned to get the max out of what I have. My build has no need for a higher RPM threshold

I was more curious if the 24x engine mgt could be tuned for any more power, and remain smog legal, with my current build. And if so how much HP

Of course then if it does the ? would be the $ per HP gain.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are they kidding,

ARE THEY KIDDING,I AM SURE I CAN PUT A WHOLE LS ENGINE IN CHEAPER THE $1600. I WAS THINKING USING JUNKYARD PARTS. BUT MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET THEM.......I SHOULD NOT HAVE POETED THIS WITHOUT MORE INFO....Sorry:crying::crying::crying::crying:OLDFOOL

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
ARE THEY KIDDING,I AM SURE I CAN PUT A WHOLE LS ENGINE IN CHEAPER THE $1600. I WAS THINKING USING JUNKYARD PARTS. BUT MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET THEM.......I SHOULD NOT HAVE POETED THIS WITHOUT MORE INFO....Sorry:crying::crying::crying::crying:OLDFOOL
Really an LS swap for less than $1600? That sounds like an 290K mile unknown history 5.3L with zero new parts and probably spun rod bearing in less than a week. I figure a reliable stock 5.3 swap is in the realm of 6k minimum. Your looking at engine, mounts, exhaust, transmission and driveshaft. I've got a 24x swap priced out for my truck at around $700 bucks, but I'll build my own wire harness on top of that and I already have my own tuning equipment.

-Brian

·
Registered
976 Posts
It was an easy decision/purchase for me...
"New" refurbished optispark or MSD...$500 or more.
Personally I have ZERO faith in new aftermarket or remanufactured parts in today's world.
A JY or used oem unit is probably a better purchase IMHO.

But, I can do the installation, wiring, and reprogramming the pcm myself.

There is no downside, a proven reliable, better engine management system, with oodles of parts available.
I bought the 24x kit from EFIConnection, and the harness/pcm/coils/etc. had already. Probably $600 in parts, already own EFILive, but tack on $150 for a license to flash pcm.

Pretty easy to hit or exceed same $ just for an opti & tuneup. Who knows how reliable these remanufactured for ACDelco opti's actually are?
I seriously doubt you'll get 100-150k out of one like the original.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've ran the Bailey LTCC on my LT engines with the LS coils. Cheaper than the Torquehead but not a thorough. I have over 200,000 on the Vette and much more than that on the Impalas. I believe that by removing the source of carbon dust and the high voltage from the Opti that they will last forever........or close to it. I've never had an Opti failure in over 500,000 miles or so of Opti driving. Been through oil leaks, water pump leaks engine washes and all. It's Saint Patty's day so maybe I have the luck o' the Irish.
I agree. I have 400,000mi on an original Opti with an MSD cap and rotor and never had a bit of trouble with it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I agree. I have 400,000mi on an original Opti with an MSD cap and rotor and never had a bit of trouble with it.
I've put tons of mileage on Optis in the original configuration. I did change the cap and rotor every 100,000 or so.....just like you're supposed to do with any distributor. I also cleaned the optical sensor with an alcohol swab while I was in there. The swab comes out real dirty sometimes. That's an optical sensor and if it's blind it can't do its job. I've fixed many bad optis with alcohol and a wipe on the sensor. Maybe all the previous oil leaks sealed the opti from the water pump leak.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts
That is some $ ...what HP/TQ gain would this system give over the stock PCM that has been tuned for a 383 H/C motor??

Would be interested to know the cost per HP switching
About 10 to 15 hp/tq throughout the RPM curve. And if your drive train can handle it, clean revving all the way to 7500 RPMs.

I have a solid roller.....sooooooo...... ;)

KW

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts
.......If for no other reason than to not be RPM limited by the PCM in a serious engine......
This was my primary reason. Opti and the LTx PCM got in the way of revving to over 7000 RPMs.

Any additional HP is a bonus.

KW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts