Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
Do you have/can you get the part number for the trans crossmember?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm having my trans rebuilt (700R4) (3.43) I have a '91 9C1. I want it snatching off the line. What is a good stall on that?
[/QUOTE
You can get a good hard takeoff with the right differential gears (3.73 or 4.10) and 2400 stall converter without having to go to a higher stall that will cause more slippage and transmission heat. High torque converter stall that allows slippage all the time in city driving will shorten transmission life. I would go with 3.73 gears and around 2400 stall for best all around driving, and 4.10 to 4.56 gears and 3200 stall for the drag strip. That 700R4 with a 5 gear planetary gear on the rebuild would be nice too.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
What's the RPO for the dual exhaust?
N10. No L03 or L05 Caprice came with N10 dual exhaust.
9C1-L05 did have an exhaust upgrade over civilian L05, but it was not dual.

Slim odds the police dept did it. More likely the 2nd owner did it.

·
Registered
1991 Chevy Caprice 9C1
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
N10. No L03 or L05 Caprice came with N10 dual exhaust.
9C1-L05 did have an exhaust upgrade over civilian L05, but it was not dual.

Slim odds the police dept did it. More likely the 2nd owner did it.
Yea, the government ordered it like that. I've been through the whole vehicle. Everything is stock. No mods or upgrades.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Yea, we would need more than " because I say so"
We can be quite helpful here , but we are very much a prove it kinda group.

Even IF the car was delivered new to the first owner with dual exhaust, I suggest it was not done by the factory.
The SPID does not suggest anything out of the ordinary
Then we are led to the fact that there wasn't , as Fred eluded to, a dual exhaust crossmember for a B body between 77-93 .
Maybe some photos of the exhaust, crossmember, part numbers on mufflers etc. Would help clear this up .

·
Registered
1991 Chevy Caprice 9C1
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Coo. Let me get this thing in the air this weekend and snap some shots for yall.

·
Registered
251 Posts
if you're looking for a stock converter get one for a 96 S10 4.3L. about 2500 stall depending on a few variables.

i'm fairly sure 91-93 caprice used the same frame and transmission crossmember as the boxies. i would be 99% sure they never came with dual exhaust from factory.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
How does someone match a stall to a camshaft?
by matching the rpm of what the cam card says power comes in at

stock cam is generally about 1800 rpm. A higher stall TC with a stock cam allows the TC to slip some beyond when the cam brings in its TQ so your launch is more aggressive. This slipping of the TC does generate heat so additional trans cooling is recommended for stalls above 2400.

Back when I did have the auto, IMHO, for a street car that sees fwy driving 3:42 gear and a 2200 stall was a solid combo.

·
Registered
1991 Chevy Caprice 9C1
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got my car back. I went with the 2400 stall. I also got to see up under the car and the cross member, It definitely was modified. I am very satisfied with the transmission upgrade. There is No lag or engine rev up with no acceleration. It really Moves

21 - 35 of 35 Posts