Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im used to motorcycles where they usually need a remap if getting an intake/exhaust mod setup on them. Anyway, i have a 96 SS with a Magnaflow exhaust system and wanted to get a cold air intake from K+N. Do i need any remap or reprogramming of the ECU to run this combo or does the stock computer handle it? Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey guys, im used to motorcycles where they usually need a remap if getting an intake/exhaust mod setup on them. Anyway, i have a 96 SS with a Magnaflow exhaust system and wanted to get a cold air intake from K+N. Do i need any remap or reprogramming of the ECU to run this combo or does the stock computer handle it? Thanks
nope just install it and go. a tune would help but not necessary. i will say that the first thing i noticed with my K&n install and aftermarket 2.5 is a loss in low end torque. but the top tnd got a whole lot better. i couldnt bark tires at will when i installed the exhaust and cold air intake. tune is great but not needed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks! I kinda figured that cars were set up to have a little more range to them for fuel adjustment etc. How did it change the sound of the engine from inside? It would be nice to hear a little growl from under the hood ya know. I know home plate probably quiets things down a little but i must be kinda odd cause i kinda like how it looks lol and don't mind leaving it on. The actual intake has to go though that's for sure.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great thanks! I kinda figured that cars were set up to have a little more range to them for fuel adjustment etc. How did it change the sound of the engine from inside? It would be nice to hear a little growl from under the hood ya know. I know home plate probably quiets things down a little but i must be kinda odd cause i kinda like how it looks lol and don't mind leaving it on. The actual intake has to go though that's for sure.
it will definitely roar like crazy. thats the most niticeable of the intake. its lound under there but its a good loud.

·
Registered
137 Posts
nope just install it and go. a tune would help but not necessary. i will say that the first thing i noticed with my K&n install and aftermarket 2.5 is a loss in low end torque. but the top tnd got a whole lot better. i couldnt bark tires at will when i installed the exhaust and cold air intake. tune is great but not needed.
Y is there and loss in low end ?????????? cause mine did the same when i added k&n and aftermarket 2.5

·
Registered
654 Posts
Y is there and loss in low end ?????????? cause mine did the same when i added k&n and aftermarket 2.5
less restrictive exhaust=less backpressure=loss in low end but gain in top end. this is why the tri y design headers are better than the longtubes for small blocks and engines with less than 500 hp as far as tq is concerned. exhaust and backpessure is simple straightforward engineering but it effects the power band of engines in so many ways. i could give a class on it but i wouldnt want to bore you to death.

·
Registered
137 Posts
less restrictive exhaust=less backpressure=loss in low end but gain in top end. this is why the tri y design headers are better than the longtubes for small blocks and engines with less than 500 hp as far as tq is concerned. exhaust and backpessure is simple straightforward engineering but it effects the power band of engines in so many ways. i could give a class on it but i wouldnt want to bore you to death.
naw u wouldnt bore me im really trying to learn what all this stuff mean I.E. powerband, low end vs top end stuff like that cause im not sure what that stuff is or means and are which is better

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Backpressure is a resriction. Change your thinking about that to "not as much heat load". To give you an idea, when you install exhaust and an intake, the engine is actually running cooler at the chamber, and therefore not vaporizing the fuel the same way it did when we had a more restrictive exhaust and intake. We now have the ability to move not only more raw air(and thusly fuel), but have created a much more efficient heat escape path. Usually these two modifications demand the mixture to be richened more, however we know that as a community the lt1 runs too rich as it is stock, when in fact we could command it to run leaner, and add some low speed timing to induce more heat sooner, for higher low speed cylinder pressure(torque) and low throttle burnoff (fuel economy). with our now easier flowing systems, we can control long term heating and can evacuate the heat faster when higher load is demanded. It can now deliver the increased torque throughout the rpm and load range when properly calibrated.

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Backpressure is a resriction. Change your thinking about that to "not as much heat load". To give you an idea, when you install exhaust and an intake, the engine is actually running cooler at the chamber, and therefore not vaporizing the fuel the same way it did when we had a more restrictive exhaust and intake. We now have the ability to move not only more raw air(and thusly fuel), but have created a much more efficient heat escape path. Usually these two modifications demand the mixture to be richened more, however we know that as a community the lt1 runs too rich as it is stock, when in fact we could command it to run leaner, and add some low speed timing to induce more heat sooner, for higher low speed cylinder pressure(torque) and low throttle burnoff (fuel economy). with our now easier flowing systems, we can control long term heating and can evacuate the heat faster when higher load is demanded. It can now deliver the increased torque throughout the rpm and load range when properly calibrated.

Chris
Kudos... Rocko PhD. ;)

You're not alone, i like the look of Home Plate on top of the engine too. Of course i have it sitting there just for looks now as i've bypassed it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rocko, thank you, I'm also slowly learning more about these things and you explained it perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts