Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Reputable 4L60e builders?

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  sherlock9c1 
#1 ·
My ERE 383 finally devoured the stock 4l60e and it has started to shudder at take-off. I'd like to either get a 94-95 specific trans for the wagon, or have mine rebuilt. Since the car no longer has to pass smog, I am getting some LE2 heads and matched cam, so the HP will go up, and the 3.73's are also going in. Does anyone have a line on a good builder or retailer that can build reliable 4l60's?

Thanks

#2 ·
Until a good local town lead shows up for you, my vote is for Alan at Performa-Built. He did great on the 200-4R in my son's stroker MC, but no reason not to think he wouldn't do famously on our tranny as well. Oh BTW son's got Canfield 2.05s with the stock 3.73, so Alan should be good to go for your'n too eh. He used to include his own stout TCs too. Ask about them. The 2,400 in the Monte was/is perfect.

Reactions: atlantadan
#4 ·
I'll throw the builder I used for mine Mike Harris (B-Body Performance), in Ohio. If I recall, not far outside of Columbus. He rebuilt a '96 model for me, and met up with my folks when they were on their road trip back to Texas, from central PA.
I can only guestimate the mileage I've got on her right now, and that's somewhere around 15,000 Miles. I've had nothing but great success with it. I recommend Mike highly.

This should be the direct link to his information here: https://www.impalassforum.com/members/1slow96.54420/#about

If you can't find any information online here, so LMK via PM, and I'll get you his private contact information.

#6 ·
I'm certain I can search for crossover details, but if you've done the swap already what are the items required:
DS cut, or at least yoke? programming? tunnel clearancing? modded console? other?

Or just a pure bolt-in....

#8 ·
#9 ·
I had one built for my BBC at a local shop. Just Right transmissions in Clearwater FL. I do not know if they ship. We tried to make it shift smoothly, and found out that it did not make the 1-2 shift correctly all the time at full throttle. It went in for surgery, and got fixed. It cost me about $1400 for the trans without the TC. I was referred there by my old mechanic, now deceased. I have a Circle D TC. The only issue with having a trans built by someone at a distance is getting it fixed if it breaks.

#10 ·
I had mike harris build mine after my Shane cpt trans failed..No issues at all! Mike hooked it up for sure.Great dude..

If had to do it again..I would just go 4l80e.
Our land yachts should have been factory 4l80 vehicles. Way too heavy for s10 trans haha

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I havent found any local trans builders that dont seem like they wash their hands of you as soon as you drive out of there.

#11 ·
Level 10 did my 4L60 back in the late 90's- solid! It incorporates a higher stall torque converter adapted off a Caddy Northstar - and other HD goodies. (It uses Type F synthetic fluid to help keep things cool).

#12 ·
Level 10 did my 4L60 back in the late 90's - solid! It incorporates a higher stall torque converter adapted off a Caddy Northstar and other HD goodies. It uses Type F synthetic fluid to help keep things cool.
When you say
"solid!"
How long did it last, preferably in miles?

#14 ·
Plenty of 4L60-E transmissions running deep into the 10's. Main drawbacks of 4L80-E are that its heavier,and will slow you down by at least a half-second. Mike Harris is a superb builder,and owned the quickest all-motor Impala for many years. Wouldn't be surprised if some of his record setting runs stand to this day on the E.T.page.

#15 ·
CPT did mine. Cost $3200 which included the core, 3200 stall 9.5 inch converter, transcooler, and their Pro-Race build plus extra hard parts. Pretty heavy duty which is what I wanted.

#17 ·
Try sending Mike a PM (1FAST94) on this forum...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.