Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing the FT end on the caprice, and already have bought used FT CTRL arms that I had blasted and powder coated, and I'm having the HDW installed this week.

I'd like to clean and powder coat a set of spindles so the whole FT end looks great.

Does anyone in the PA area have a pair of 9/16 spindles?

I dunno if I'd trust junkyard spindles.

I’d be willing to drive a little bit for them too.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I am pretty sure that I have a set, they would need to be cleaned up and all that, but should be in great shape for what you are trying to do, they came off my 123K 9C1, just let me know and I can shoot some pics, just pay shipping and I can get them to you.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great! I would have them blasted and powder coated to match the CTRL arm.

I was planning on doing this all on Saturday, but I decided to hold off as I wanted matching awesome looking spindles to match the CTRL arms, and FT end HDW.

Shipping: 17084

Pix would be great too!

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah let me dig them out tonight for you and I will shoot some pics as well, they are buried in my upstairs of my garage, so it will take me a bit to dig them out :) I will get you something by tonight though.

I feel your pain bro. I woke up at 4:30 AM today to work in the 22' weather to replace the turn signal/hazzard switch assembly. The one RockAuto sent me had a manufacturing defect that kept the hazzard 4-ways on 24-7, unless you manually pulled out the pushbutton/switch. Naturally this was the LAST thing I did, before I powered up the car for test.

Long story short, I got a correct replacement from Advance Auto after work last night, and got her done this AM.

I've been slamming red bull since lunch!

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Hey brother I Am sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, I only have found one spindle, I am trying to find the other one through the ten boxes of b body sh** that I have and I am coming up with nothing, I will let you know if I find here this weekend, sorry again man.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, keep me posted on what ya do find.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Not to kill Mike's sale, but FWIW, I bought a brand new pair of 9/16 spindles a couple years ago from a local GM parts supplier. They were like $53 each at the time. I believe these are still available new. If you want new ones, check with member 94MSP9C1, he works for a dealer and gets pretty good prices.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to kill Mike's sale, but FWIW, I bought a brand new pair of 9/16 spindles a couple years ago from a local GM parts supplier. They were like $53 each at the time. I believe these are still available new. If you want new ones, check with member 94MSP9C1, he works for a dealer and gets pretty good prices.

Thanks. I'll contact him just to see if they are available, and in case Mike can't find a 2nd. If they were new, that would also save on degreasing/sandblasting costs as well.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Thanks. I'll contact him just to see if they are available, and in case Mike can't find a 2nd. If they were new, that would also save on degreasing/sandblasting costs as well.
That is cool man which ever way you go let me know, you would have to clean these for sure :) I will see what I can find though, I just can't believe it got up and walked away :)

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is cool man which ever way you go let me know, you would have to clean these for sure :) I will see what I can find though, I just can't believe it got up and walked away :)
Mike,
My Dad used to work in the parts dept for CarMax in Austin, after retiring from IBM for 31 years, which was run by AutoZone.

He got to be good friends with all the dealer suppliers, and the chevy dealer down there, and they take care of him to this day even after he officially retired for good from AutoZone as well. The dealer quoted LH (18021052) = $60.00 & RH (18016024) $53.00

Mom & Pop are driving a used Tahoe I bought outa Houston up in two weeks for Turkey Day to have with me & Granny. So shipping is free.

Between the cost of shipping those suckers from you, I'd guess $30.00, and the cost of havign them cleaned and blasted, prepped for powder coating, I think I'd spend more on the used units, as opposed to new.

I appreciate you taking the time for looking at your inventory.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Steve,

The correct/preferred 9/16" knuckles are 18021052 & 18021053. Both are still available, as far as I know--if not, I have some (new). These are also the same as used on Impala SS, even though the parts book lists another PN for the JB9 (Impala SS) cars....it was just a paint job.

18016024 is the earlier-generation knuckle and was never used on 94-95 9C1 with smaller ball joints. It has a smaller "pad" area on the caliper abutments, and I would urge you to use the matching parts--I can send pictures to show you the difference.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Mike,
My Dad used to work in the parts dept for CarMax in Austin, after retiring from IBM for 31 years, which was run by AutoZone.

He got to be good friends with all the dealer suppliers, and the chevy dealer down there, and they take care of him to this day even after he officially retired for good from AutoZone as well. The dealer quoted LH (18021052) = $60.00 & RH (18016024) $53.00

Mom & Pop are driving a used Tahoe I bought outa Houston up in two weeks for Turkey Day to have with me & Granny. So shipping is free.

Between the cost of shipping those suckers from you, I'd guess $30.00, and the cost of havign them cleaned and blasted, prepped for powder coating, I think I'd spend more on the used units, as opposed to new.

I appreciate you taking the time for looking at your inventory.
No problem man, no sweat take care.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve,

The correct/preferred 9/16" knuckles are 18021052 & 18021053. Both are still available, as far as I know--if not, I have some (new). These are also the same as used on Impala SS, even though the parts book lists another PN for the JB9 cars....it was just a paint job.

18016024 is the earlier-generation knuckle and was never used on 94-95 9C1 with smaller ball joints. It has a smaller "pad" area on the caliper abutments, and I would urge you to use the matching parts--I can send pictures to show you the difference.
Bill,
I have the JM4 code (I don't have my servuce manuals at work to reference the codes. That's the code that was listed on Compnine.com). Here's my SPID:

I used my 9C1 Calipers & Rotors when I transferred parts to the Civilian. I also picked up Civilian CTRL Arms that I had blasted and powder coated, and having the Del-A-Lum bushings installed today.

Would I still want to use the P/Ns you provided (18021052 & 18021053)?

Since you mentioned it, please show pix here for all to see.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I've done my homework on this--if you get the parts mentioned in your previous post, you'll have a "different" knuckle on each side....they'll still work, but understand this--the parts book (and Compnine) will provide the original application service part, if it's still available, otherwise, the suitable replacement (in this case 18021052 for left side) is listed, even though it was not used in production--18016023 is no longer available.

Compnine only shows parts that are still available, from what I've seen.

On the left is the "early" design--on right is 18021052/18021053 configuration.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done my homework on this--if you get the parts mentioned in your previous post, you'll have a "different" knuckle on each side....they'll still work, but understand this--the parts book (and Compnine) will provide the original application service part, if it's still available, otherwise, the suitable replacement (in this case 18021052 for left side) is listed, even though it was not used in production--18016023 is no longer available.

Compnine only shows parts that are still available, from what I've seen.

On the left is the "early" design--on right is 18021052/18021053 configuration.
Thanx Bill, I've got a suspension question for you & all, which I'll post now.

I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I checked on this for you and we can get them new for you for $58.88 each with part #18021052/53.
Mike--Hamilton Chevy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts