Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm looking at installing a set of Impala door panels into my Caprice. I'll have to run new power & ground wires for the light that the Caprice panels don't have (Dome light trigger circuit), but my question is in the area for the pull handle.

As you can see in the pix below (LH Panel, but RH door pic), my door doesn't have any captive nut, or an insert, or any material where I could simply run a sheet metal screw.

-Can anyone tell me what is in this area for the Impala?
-What's the typical fix/solution for this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I did this Mod many years ago when converting to a Leather Interior and adding the Impala SS Panels. I was hoping I had a pic to show you but can't seem to find one to show them. Memory is pretty fuzzy but...

IIRC - there are just White Plastic clips that go into those slots you have hi-lighted in your pic. They are just White Plastic squares and it may just be simple License Plate clips that I used. The slots are oblong so you can slide the clip to line up with the Screws. Maybe check with the Dealer to see if he can get you a part number but again pretty sure I just used something like this....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Universal-License-Plate-Tag-Mounting-Hardware-Plastic-Insert-Nut-Clip-Bumper/272527999005?epid=693295532&hash=item3f73ef401d:g:LJkAAOSwjDZYgQGn:sc:USPSFirstClass!19320!US!-1

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I had no idea that simple inserts were what was used for mounting the pull handle.

I've already got the screws, and can work with my fastener supplier thru work to get something that should work for me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to work with a fastener supplier, they're just license plate nuts, in stock at any parts store.
It's not a big deal we get deliveries every day, and as opposed to spending $1.25/Each as shown on the eBay ad, I'll pay about $0.07/Ea.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can get them in Help/Dorman section @ parts store as well.
That is where I got mine, because I forgot to remove/grab them when I swapped on my new to me JY door panels.

I likely have lighting pigtails in garage somewhere if you need a pair?

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[SNIP]

I likely have lighting pigtails in garage somewhere if you need a pair?
Ya mean you have the wiring harness with the mating receptacle?

If so, let me know if you do. I'm not sure if a local buddy has any donors for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ya mean you have the wiring harness with the mating receptacle?

If so, let me know if you do. I'm not sure if a local buddy has any donors for me.
I have stuff from mine, the JY donor I got my panels from, and the 96 RMW I scrapped.
Would just need to see what you need...

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have stuff from mine, the JY donor I got my panels from, and the 96 RMW I scrapped.
Would just need to see what you need...
I need the wiring harness with the receptacle that plugs into the door panel lighting receptacle, to power the light. Since I have a caprice, I do not have this.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Odd, they were already there on my '94 caprice, that's why I have extra crap stuffed in a box somewhere...the lights just plugged into existing plug.

I'll dig around and see what I find.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I need the wiring harness with the receptacle that plugs into the door panel lighting receptacle, to power the light. Since I have a caprice, I do not have this.

Do you have a Caprice or a 9C1? I do not believe the 9C1 has the plug where-as the civilian Caprice I think did come with it. It has been many years since I checked but I think that is accurate.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a Caprice or a 9C1? I do not believe the 9C1 has the plug where-as the civilian Caprice I think did come with it. It has been many years since I checked but I think that is accurate.

Mike--94MSP9C1
I have a Caprice. I'll take a look tonight when I leave work since I have the panel off now. I suppose a harness could be inside the door itself, but I think I would have discovered it when I installed 6.5" speaker when I first got her.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Mike--94MSP9C1
Mike,
You're right, I just didn't notice. If you look in the second picture, at the 9 O'Clock position, you see the end of the receptacle that's held to the sheet metal panel.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Mike,
You're right, I just didn't notice. If you look in the second picture, at the 9 O'Clock position, you see the end of the receptacle that's held to the sheet metal panel.
So my old memory is not as faded as I thought! Glad you found it.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Sorry, I missed that on the door lights. My low optioned Caprice did not have these wires in the door. I also did not have wiring for power seats, mirrors either that I had to later add a harness for.

On the door lights, I just wired into the dome light circuit (IIRC) behind the b pillar or may have found the circuit from the fuse panel. I just used typical male female spade connectors on the wires so I could still remove the panel easily. When later adding lighted rear panels, I just tied into the front door light circuit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts