Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm debating on whether or not to buy only a set of tires, or if I'd like to go thru and get a new set of wheels.

That being what it is, is there anyone y'all can recommend for a Tire-N-Wheel package? I just did a quick search and Tire rack & Summit both seem to have slim pickings for wheels.

So I'm debating as to buy a set of (4) tires today thru Discount Tire to get a black friday discount, and then get a new set of wheels down the road, or get an all in one package.

Any thoughts? Any good sites for 5X5 wheels for our cars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Well you left it wide open for kibbutzing, but would be better to narrow down the field a tad. IDRecall if you got a wagon or 'just' a Caprice/SS, but I don't think you're a FW brethren. But appears you're currently running 20's per sig.

So all that done, I can only mention I would not think to default to TR for much outside of a narrow band of regular customer sale demograph (i.e. bore ring). I happened on multiple wh/tire combiners when looking for replacements on my FWB, but if you want to consider oem take-offs here's where I ended up = very good quality, fair prices and painless ordering/delivery. There's even 18-19-20 stockers if you're staying with oversize:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you left it wide open for kibbutzing, but would be better to narrow down the field a tad. IDRecall if you got a wagon or 'just' a Caprice/SS, but I don't think you're a FW brethren. But appears you're currently running 20's per sig.

So all that done, I can only mention I would not think to default to TR for much outside of a narrow band of regular customer sale demograph (i.e. bore ring). I happened on multiple wh/tire combiners when looking for replacements on my FWB, but if you want to consider oem take-offs here's where I ended up = very good quality, fair prices and painless ordering/delivery. There's even 18-19-20 stockers if you're staying with oversize:

Thanks, yes I think I would stay with 20s. I've got 8.5 on the front and 10" Wide on the rear. I've got the '96 Caprice and upgraded suspension.

I do like the look of 9C1 wheels, if I could find them oversized I'd like that a lot. All I know is that I think I've got 5" of backspacing.

I've also got a set of 1" adapters which I haven't installed from one of the recommended suppliers thru the forum.

I also should have said Cyber-Monday pricing instead of black friday, but it's all the same....

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Phuuuuu.......k, you got spacers? I've always liked the wheel-flush-to-sidewall look on a B-body. You're a perfect candidate for some FWD offsets then if you can mod your spacers or get new ones with 5x(120 is it?). Just more options.

I could swear there's a company doing oversize cast and steelies in many old 15" oem patterns FWIW.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phuuuuu.......k, you got spacers? I've always liked the wheel-flush-to-sidewall look on a B-body. You're a perfect candidate for some FWD offsets then if you can mod your spacers or get new ones with 5x(120 is it?). Just more options.

I could swear there's a company doing oversize cast and steelies in many old 15" oem patterns FWIW.
Okay, since I've never really researched wheels & tires before (I bought the current set thru Craigslist back in 2010) I hadn't thought about using adapters to change to a different hole pattern, I only thought of them in the spacing they provide. My current setup has the rears very close to the frame, that's why I bought them. But I didn't really sit down and do the math/engineering to see if they will work, and not push the tire into the wheel well.

Now the possibilities are even more than what I first thought of. I'm glad I started the thread after all.....

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Considering 5X5 has pretty much left the building nowadays, and seeing all the neat alloy oem choices out there now, options really open up with combo spacer-adapters.

I fretted way too much putting something decent on my latest FWB, but learnt a bunch along the way:

These folks know B- bodies quite well, and ought to be able to help you confirm whether you can get a wheel you like to fit under your car:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, since you have listed it a few times in your writing, I've got to ask since I'm not familiar with the acronym regarding our series of vehicles..

I fretted way too much putting something decent on my latest FWB, but learnt a bunch along the way:
What is FWB?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Fleetwood Brougham. You outta drop by, it's where all the neat guys hang. ::Hawaiian hand moji::

Next class; RMS, RMW and OCC ;)

·
Premium Member
20,284 Posts
.....is there anyone y'all can recommend for a Tire-N-Wheel package?......
I have a set of 18"x9.5" Corvette wheels that I used with 285/40-18's (same diameter as stock SS wheels tires).

Note.....I do not have the tires available. If you're interested.....PM me your email (don't have it stored anymore) and I'll send pictures.

KW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts