Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 1996 impala ss and coolant reservoir is bubbling when car is turned off. I have attempted to bled coolant at thermostat housing. Any suggestions....

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Could have a 180° combined with a failed cap,and weak coolant. Recommend a fresh 160° thermostat,and new AC Delco reservoir cap regardless. Test coolant,and consider replacing if weak,and/or unknown date it was last flushed/refilled. Also check for broken,and/or missing air dams under core support. They make a bigger difference than many people realize.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Couple More

If the seller does not offer up any recent mods or symptoms, then I'm with failed/weakened cap too. '96 gets the 18# cap, but don't be surprised the counter guy/gal insists on a 15 or 16# for the earlier years. I just replaced mine and made sure it was the pink dot top original - RC87.

Fresh AF is one of those 'automatically on the list' of maint. for any new ride. For bleeding I take it you jacked it up?

And more about your new car eh.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yo 1slow-,
CW has always been that going to the 160 thermostat without the respective reprogramming will cause fights between sensors and fans or somesuch - possible overheating? I only recall this from days of everybody claiming to make sure to do the 'Motorad Mod' only AFTER getting a Hypertech PPP. I realize I've just gone done proved myself quite dated now, and maybe all that's been debunked by now. lol

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Nah,the 160° stat doesn't cause any issues like that,and can't make the car overheat. Without reprogramming the fans,they'll come on when they always did. Even with mine reprogrammed to come on at lower temperatures,they rarely come on. You can certainly cross that bridge when you get to it,and/or rig a switch in the cabin to turn them on manually... The must still default to PCM in either case.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Thanks I will replace thermostat and cap today.
the cap pressure on a 1996 Impala is 15 psi .. do not use a higher pressure cap or the radiator tank will crack..

COULD BE IT IS THE RADIATOR IS CRACKED CAUSING THIS !!!
check the driver side radiator plastic tank for cracks. no pressure coolant will boil.
I purchased my 1996 impala in NOV 1995 .. so I know how my impala was built and I have the GM helms manual.. 15PSI ...

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Three more psi will crack tanks on B-Body radiators,but not ones on the F-body these caps are spec for? I ain't buying it,and the small pressure gauge on my cooling system seldom,if ever displays more than 10psi. anyway.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
For 15-16 v. 18 this was 1st thing popped up with outside google using, "radiator cap '96 Impala SS" - See Post #6. There's others;
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/53-heating-cooling-hvac/1275377-antifreeze-overflow-tank.html

And correction to my earlier ref to "pink dot". Apparently it's officially "orange" -- to connote original Dex-Cool compared to Green Dot for - well, for earlier used green AF!
so you believe google search than me ? I still can read and my cap is , the same cap GM put on my pressure tank from factory . also the cap says use dexcool on it ..
GM made 3 different dexcools .. the first caused gasket and intake plastic manifold damage .. then the 2nd caused other problems like organic growth issues .. the 3rd is working fine .. I did the coolant changes every 3 yrs , low miles so did not have much heater crap issues but I do flush the heater core every change and drain the complete system ..which is why I have no problems removing the KS sensors..

on the 18 psi caps I do not recommend any 18 psi cap on any vehicle . my family member has a 2013dodge challenger and his radiator tank cracked on the passenger side down low.. plastic side tanks cannot handle that pressure.

on my 1983 GM sedan my radiator had a 15 psi cap.. 2 row radiator had a leak in the tubing up high .. this was back when we used tap water with the antifreeze .. well I got lifetime radiators with the 3 row tubes and the larger side tanks .. I had to purchase the 16 psi cap.. 15 was not at auto stores.. so I replaced 3 of these bigger radiators because the solder seams cracked and leaked..

family member in wisc owned a radiator shop asked him why do I have these problems my car never over heats and he quickly stated the high pressure caps cause this damage use a 14/15 psi cap .. so I keep this sedan 380K miles and after 10 plus years no radiator problems ..

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Really not a question of who to believe here. It should be about what the Dealer says and has listed for specific years. The web vendors are all over the place on this issue. Some listing 1 cap for all 3 years. While I can't verify the history of someone's car and what it came with, I will say that the dealer specifies 2 caps as described in this link. 1 cap for 94-95 and another for 96 cars...I did verify this with them when ordering a new cap years ago.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/2850545-post9.html

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Really not a question of who to believe here. It should be about what the Dealer says and has listed for specific years. The web vendors are all over the place on this issue. Some listing 1 cap for all 3 years. While I can't verify the history of someone's car and what it came with, I will say that the dealer specifies 2 caps as described in this link. 1 cap for 94-95 and another for 96 cars...I did verify this with them when ordering a new cap years ago.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/2850545-post9.html

4DoorSS is absolutely correct with the part numbers and the poundage. The 1994-95 used the 15 pound RC74 (10244485) and the 1996 used the 18 pound cap #RC87 (25713160).

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
4DoorSS is absolutely correct with the part numbers and the poundage. The 1994-95 used the 15 pound RC74 (10244485) and the 1996 used the 18 pound cap #RC87 (25713160).

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

so you are a dealership parts guy and you use the new GM parts data ??? well GM new is a POS company the old was much better.

so all that think I am an idiot verify my comment on the proper cap for a 1996 Impala ..

helms manual page 6B-2 and 6B-3

""the plastic pressure vent cap is used with the plastic recovery reservoir to allow build up of 103KPA [15psi] in the cooling system ""

so after you all read the GM shop manual please correct your errors .

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
so you are a dealership parts guy and you use the new GM parts data ??? well GM new is a POS company the old was much better.

so all that think I am an idiot verify my comment on the proper cap for a 1996 Impala ..

helms manual page 6B-2 and 6B-3

""the plastic pressure vent cap is used with the plastic recovery reservoir to allow build up of 103KPA [15psi] in the cooling system ""

so after you all read the GM shop manual please correct your errors .

Get off your high horse and leave room for other people to express their opinions. You may just learn a thing or two or do you already know everything there is too learn?

The data I use I have had since the late 1990's so I am not NEW to the B'Bodys in any way shape or form!

Nobody called you an idiot and I will NOT correct the facts as issued by GM for their products and nobody has ever found info in the shop manual that was incorrect before? Really????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Get off your high horse and leave room for other people to express their opinions. You may just learn a thing or two or do you already know everything there is too learn?

The data I use I have had since the late 1990's so I am not NEW to the B'Bodys in any way shape or form!
Nobody called you an idiot and I will NOT correct the facts as issued by GM for their products!
Mike--Hamilton Chevy
I always verify any comments people make on what to do and what parts to use.
you a person working at the new GM I find not a surprise that your GM data is flawed.. the reason is when GM went bankrupt I was told by the employee where I purchased my 96 Impala that his part data on these was destroyed so some idiot failed to list the proper parts.

so you have NO shop manual and you will not check out my documented report .. well I will never use any of your comments on how to get my vehicle properly repaired and the process you post.

I never said a member called me an idiot but it does appear you and others are posting wrong info making me look bad ..this is in the manual I purchased cost me $120 ..............back when I bought it ..
This is the 1996 Impala GM part COOLANT - DEXCOOL RADIATOR CAP 10285918 $3.18

this is from the old GM not the new china crap GM parts made now ..

these are the old GM part #coolant
COOLANT - DEXCOOL NOTICE STICKER 10283878 $ 5.49
COOLANT - DEXCOOL RADIATOR CAP 10285918 $ 3.18
COOLANT - FLOW CONT VALVE W/HOSES SEO GREEN - AC #15-5508 10258505 $ 61.37
COOLANT - LEVEL SENS (8-WIRE) 12135027 $ 18.54
COOLANT - RADIATOR HOSE SEO LOWER 10197619 $ 82.02
COOLANT - RADIATOR HOSE UPPER SEO GREEN 10260863 $ 47.81
COOLANT - RADIATOR HOSE KIT (?) SEO GREEN - 94 ONLY? 12522853 $ 7.60
COOLANT - RADIATOR INSULATOR UPPER 10246557 $ 2.16
COOLANT - RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK 12528777 $ 34.85
COOLANT - RADIATOR RECOVERY HOSE SEO GREEN 10219447 $ 55.36
COOLANT - RADIATOR SUPPORT BRACE 12522746 $ 345.00
COOLANT - RADIATOR TEE HEATER WATER BYPASS 12522867 $ 5.39
COOLANT - STEAM PIPE ASSEMBLY 93-94-INCL SEALS & HOSE 10108635 $ 31.14
COOLANT - STEAM PIPE CROSSOVER 95/96-INCL SEALS/HOSE/BOLTS 12556260 $ 24.91
COOLANT - STEAM PIPE SEALS 93-96 10108689 $ 3.00
COOLANT - TEMP GAUGE 140-250 2-5/8" W/WHITE FACE/BOWTIE 12371176 $ 40.37
COOLANT - TEMP GAUGE140-240 2-5/8" W/GMPP ON FACE 12361394 $ 71.99
COOLANT - TEMP GAUGE140-280 2-5/8" W/BOWTIE ON FACE 12361402 $ 47.93
COOLANT - TEMP SENDING UNIT 10096181 $ 10.95
COOLANT - TEMP SENSOR (GAUGE) AC #213-77 25037332 $ 10.30
COOLANT - TEMP SENSOR (PCM) NEW P/N 15326386 12146312 $ 10.95
COOLANT - TEMP SENSOR (PCM) AC# 213-310 15326386 $ 10.95
COOLANT - TEMP SENSOR CONNECTOR 12102748 $ 12.26
COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALVE AC #15-5423 10157988 $ 7.47
COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR 2-WIRE 10096163 $ 23.35
COOLANT STEAM PIPE BOLTS 93-96 12552974 $ 3.07
COOLING FAN RELAY 94-96 - AC #15-8733 12193604 $ 14.29

so the part # do not begin with a 2 ,,,,,,,,,,,old GM 1..

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
There's a lot of things that were true when the shop manual was produced that has changed in 20+ years. Dex VI for example,and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Bashing GM doesn't help your argument either....

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
you a person working at the new GM I find not a surprise that your GM data is flawed.. the reason is when GM went bankrupt I was told by the employee where I purchased my 96 Impala that his part data on these was destroyed so some idiot failed to list the proper parts.

so you have NO shop manual and you will not check out my documented report .. well I will never use any of your comments on how to get my vehicle properly repaired and the process you post.

this is from the old GM not the new china crap GM parts made now ..

these are the old GM part #
COOLANT - RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK 12528777 $ 34.85

Well Mr j cat I am going to say this one time and one time ONLY!

I did not start working for GM AFTER they became the NEW GM!

You should always believe what SOME employee from GM told you as gospel!

I NEVER said I did not have a FSM!

You SIR are the perfect all knowing B-Body mechanic and after owning and restoring 7 of them and working for GM and being involved in the GM B-Body parts business for 21 years and you have shown me that I am just a STUPID bungling Idiot and I know NOTHING about these cars! Thank You for helping me realize just how stupid I really am!

Now using your post above the part number you show for the coolant tank is correct as you show. However what you don't realize is that that part is currently available from GM and I have 4 of them on the shelf and each and every one of them comes with the 18 lb cap and it is a 1996 coolant tank! Maybe you should call GM and tell them how stupid they are too since you are so good at telling me how stupid I am!

I have said my peace and I am OUT!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy--Good Day!

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Anyone who has been around this industry long enough knows nothing is absolute or written in stone.

The attachment below is from early 2000 so at that point GM was specing the acdelco-rc75-gm-10296465 for the 96. ( pink dot 15 pound )

All that said, anyone who takes a service manual or parts book as gospel ,

The manuals and first rev parts books were printed before the cars were released. Mistakes and revisions were common.

I can't remember exactly, isn't there one engine faster torque in the 95 FSM that would snap a faster clean off if some myopic tech followed the book and ignored common sense?

I know there are wiring pinouts that did not match my 95 Caprice.

We all make mistakes, the trick is to own up and admit to them

Didn't have to look very far

on the 95 OBDI the fuel pump is controlled by the oil pressure switch . on back of engine . so when the light comes on and low pressure the fuel pump will shut off switch will open no power to the fuel pump...
The 94-95 while it does have the switch like you say, it also has the PCM controlled relay .
The pressure switch parallels the relay .
A 94-95 will not kill the fuel pump if oil pressure drops, unless the relay is faulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
QUOTE: "I can't remember exactly, isn't there one engine faster torque in the 95 FSM that would snap a faster clean off if some myopic tech followed the book and ignored common sense?"

That would be the spec of 20 lb/ft for the thermo housing. It is actually 8 lb/ft. Ask me how I know................ following the gospel 94 FSM as a newbie owner before being a forum member, snapped right off. Luckily it was an easy extraction. 94, 95, 96 all the same. No correction ever.

I'm sure there are others.

Geez you guys. Lighten up on the pissing contest. Don't take things so personally.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts