Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to reskin the front seats? I got set and wondering if there is a step by step thread. I couldn't find one. Any help is appreciated, Thanx

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
It is not really difficult. You will probably need a hog ring remover/installer. The seat skin may be hog ringed to a wire in the foam along the seams. The back may have some "Velcro like" strips along the seams as well. Removing the headrest requires a small tool that slides over the rods, and keeps the retaining tang out of the notch in the rods (two are needed).

You will be doing some pulling and tugging to get them off and on. While you have the cover off, repair any worn foam.

I am assuming you have an Impala with two bucket seats, so you do not have to remove the back of the driver's seat to do the bottom.

It is easier to install the back cover if you remove the seat back from the bottom. The retainer is a little difficult to get apart with the back attached. If you are going to remove the seat back, you need some push nuts to reattach the tilt mechanism rods. A T45 will remove the hinge bolts. It is also a lot easier to do with the seats out of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
What I've read from the guys on the Olds list over the years is to put the new skins out in the sun for a while prior to install so they'll stretch a bit easier to install.

The second recommendation was using a dry cleaning bag over the foam, and then install the new skins over that as the material will slide a lot easier over the plastic than foam.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. It's one of the things I have yet to try myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts